Core i7 VID: what's average?

By default it's usually set to 1.25v. At the stock speeds, you should have no problems running it at a much lower voltage. I was able to get 3.6 GHz at 1.2375.

By default it's usually set to 1.25v. At the stock speeds, you should have no problems running it at a much lower voltage. I was able to get 3.6 GHz at 1.2375.

Alright, sweet. I thought I got stuck with a crap chip.

Any idea why it defaulted to 1.317v?

wrong voltage reading (I assume you seeing this in some software)

I don't remember. I know CPUZ reported 1.317v. Not sure what the BIOS had to say about it.

Are you saying that I read the voltage incorrectly, or that some software read it incorrectly?

Just try to set it lower and go from there. If you're planning on running it at stocks speeds, set it to 1.20v in BIOS and go from there.

Just try to set it lower and go from there. If you're planning on running it at stocks speeds, set it to 1.20v in BIOS and go from there.

I'm going to overclock. I was just worried that I wouldn't have a lot of headroom to work with.

You, for example, are running @ 3.8GHz with 1.25v. I just can't see my chip doing that. I've still got time to take it back and give it another shot.

You, for example, are running @ 3.8GHz with 1.25v. I just can't see my chip doing that. I've still got time to take it back and give it another shot.

You never know. I got lucky with the 3841A batch (actually, many of them have been getting good overclocks). You may get a nice overclock at a decent voltage.

I get 3.8 GHz with 1.25v and hyper threading turned on. In order to get to 4.0 GHz (20x200), I need 1.344v (CPU-Z) and have to turn off HT. I opted for the hyper threading (and lower Vcore) over the additional 200 MHz.

I don't know where you guys find these magical cpu's but I can't get stable without increasing the voltage a bit. Tried a couple cpu's already and they never last more than a few minutes during prime95 torture test without a voltage bump.

You never know. I got lucky with the 3841A batch (actually, many of them have been getting good overclocks). You may get a nice overclock at a decent voltage.

I get 3.8 GHz with 1.25v and hyper threading turned on. In order to get to 4.0 GHz (20x200), I need 1.344v (CPU-Z) and have to turn off HT. I opted for the hyper threading (and lower Vcore) over the additional 200 MHz.

Although that is a later batch than the ones I tried. Is that full load stable? Or is that just boot and it works to play games and benchmarks stable?

I still can't see why my motherboard would have thought 1.317v was a good place to start. I'm really tempted to see what batch MicroCenter has, and give that a shot.

Full load stable.

mmmm i have a chip from the same batch, im tempted to see if i can push 3.8 at the same voltage, at the moment im just playing it safe with 3.3ghz at 1.225v and havent had time to play with it more yet.

mmmm i have a chip from the same batch, im tempted to see if i can push 3.8 at the same voltage, at the moment im just playing it safe with 3.3ghz at 1.225v and havent had time to play with it more yet.

I got the same batch aswell (3841A) and to keep 3.5 ghz I need around 1.30 QPI and 1.31 vcore.

I have 1.368 foir 3866 stable as a rock, now I use 1.41V for 4.0+ clocks, have not had the time to work those bugs out, but i think it is the QPI or RAM speed holding me back in those clocks

Back