Core i7 OC - Few questions on voltages, temp, and stability.

RanceJustice

Supreme [H]ardness
Hello all. I'm currently OCing my Corei7 920. This is my base equipment

Core i7 920 cooled with TRUE Black w/2 Scythe "G" variants
Rampage II Extreme BIOS 1104
Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600mhz 6gb

Base temps are in the high 30s, possibly around 40 for a single core at stock. I've turned off all the TM, C1E, SpeedStep etc.. and set the multiplier to 20x. Hyperthreading is on and I'd like to keep it that way.

I just tried my first "tester" OC by taking it to 3.8 by way of 190x20, at CPU Voltage of 1.35. Mem voltage up to 1.65 as per Corsair spec, locking in the timings at 8-8-8-20. Most other things on Auto.

I'm using LinX for my stability test, which is a form of IntelBurnTest, but seems to work better. Temps current idle are in the mid 40s, and hit 80+ under IBT. Is this all right? I know these chips run hot. Also, it seems my RAM timings defalted to 2T after the OC, from 1T before. Should be okay to force it back, right?

If things are cool here, I'm going to try for 200x20 for 4.0ghz. Thanks.

I have my i7 set to the same 3.8 @ 1.35V. At those settings I was able to run prime95, LinX together for hours on end without any issues. Even played crysis for a bit while they were both running.....stable as a rock. I have a noctua heatsink with delta fans (on low rpm) doing push/pull. With all that my idle temps range from 40c-45c depending on the core and of course ambient temp. At full load I maxed around 82c, but in RL I usually never go over 65c.

Not sure about the ram, im running the same sticks, but 12GB, so my timmings are already 2T.

So yah I think your temps are fine, these suckers run hot. Good luck with 4.0, I needed over 1.4V to keep it stable and idle temps were low 50s almost. Too hot for my tastes.

Back