Core i7/GTX260 SLI in planning stages...

jfreund

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm in the beginning stages of mapping out a water cooler. I've water cooled several systems before, but never got into the nuts and bolts of flow rates, pressure drop, etc.

I want to cool my i7 920 and maybe get the speed up over the current 3.6 GHz. I also want to cool a couple GTX260s and possibly the chipset on the eVGA X58 board. My goal is silence. I can distinctly hear the fans on the CPU and video cards, and I want the sound to go away.

I'm thinking I'll put a FuZion 2 on the CPU and use a couple FuZion GFX 2s or Swiftech MCW60-R Rev 2s with corresponding passive sinks on the 260s. It would be great to get the video cooling to a single slot each, but I really don't want to pay $120 each for 2 blocks that are going to be useless when I upgrade video cards.

Bitspower makes a custom NB/SB block for my board, but it looks like it would be a flow killer. I wonder if I could get away with a more generic NB block and put a low profile passive heatsink on the SB.

Right now I think I'm going to go with a couple 2x120mm rads. This is all going into an Antec 1200 case. Their 200mm rad for the top would kick ass if the boneheads hadn't made it aluminum. I already have an MCP355 pump and I'll probably put the XSPC reservoir top on it.

My concerns at the moment are whether the single pump can push the H2O through all of those items, and if 4x120mm of radiator surface is going to keep things cool at the (lack of) noise level I want. The case already has 5 adjustable-speed 120mm fans I would like to use for this. I've also considered a 140mm square rad or maybe 2 2x92mm rads (if I can find them in stock anywhere) mounted beneath the fan at the top of the case. I'd like to get away with the single pump and existing fans to keep the cost under control - the blocks and rads are already going to cost plenty. A single loop will also make routing hoses a bit easier.

Thoughts? Is it feasible? Right/wrong components?

Looks ok. The MPC355 [especially with XSPC top] should handle all your blocks easily. 2 thick 2x120 should provide enough cooling but I'm not sure what RPM of the fans they'd require.

What fan speed do you consider acceptable? 1200? 1000? or more like 600?

Fans are probably going to be about 1000 rpm. I think it's going to be a thick 2x120 up front and a slim 2x120 mounted internally in the back. I can put another (maybe 1x140) up top near the fan. I'd rather have radiator overkill from the start than add another later. Thanks for the response:)

Back