Core i7 advice

ritch1

Weaksauce
I’m looking to get a fairly powerful CPU that will last me a couple of years. I’m not going to get into the water cooling stuff, as much as I’d like to I cant stretch the budget that far.

I’m into high performance gaming so was thinking of going for the Core i7 960 3.20Ghz. does that sound like a good idea? This would obviously run alongside a high performance GPU.

Will fans enable over clocking or even run it safely at its stock speed?

Thanks for any info ;)

My caution is that LGA1366 is....going out, right? The 960 is a 1366 proc, yes?

As for cooling, I've got my 920 on air up to 3.2...so you should have room to OC on air even.

If you can afford a 960, just get a 2500k or 2600k
the 1155 is the newest, and should be around awhile.

Get the 2500k if its just for gaming. If you want a all round performer in games and more cpu intensive multi threaded applications get the 2600k.

thanks for the replies. so I take it there is not much difference between the i5 and i7 range then? excuse my ignorance, i not had time to do much research

thanks for the replies. so I take it there is not much difference between the i5 and i7 range then? excuse my ignorance, i not had time to do much research

Hyperthreading and a wee tat better IMC which ain't noticeable in real life performances that's about it

thanks Spooony, yeah its only games really so that one might do the trick

thanks Spooony, yeah its only games really so that one might do the trick

Let me put it this way. If you can afford the 2600k then get it. Its a all rounder. But if getting the 2600k means you have to configure your budget by spending less on a other part of your system then get the 2500k. Its great for gaming. But like I said the 2600k is a all rounder which will do better in other applications than the 2500k.

any advice on RAM for this type of set up?

Corsair vengeance mate I use nothing else. I got a old pair of Dominator DDR2 ram which I comb my hair with and they still work. Corsair don't put a lifetime guarantee on their stuff for nothing. So a pair of Corsair vengeance 1600mhz sticks. They low powered and oc like a beats

Check out G.skill also. There are a few good memory companies out there including Mushkin. If you go P67 chipset I would grab something that is low voltage. G.skill has some 1.25V sniper ram out now and they have 1600mhz c8 1.5V cheaper then the Corsair. I almost did Corsair but the G.skill Ripjaws gave me a bit more clearance.

Back