• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Core i7 930 Temperatures Under Load

ViPaDawG

n00b
Joined
Mar 16, 2010
Messages
3
Hello Everyone, I've been prowling this forums for a while recently as I have been building my own computer (it is my first time building, and I decided on the Megahalems b/c of recommendations by people on here). I have finally put it all together and have a question about CPU temperatures. Here are my system specs:

Core i7-930 running at stock speeds
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B CPU Cooler (with 2 Scythe Kaze-Jyuni Slipstream fans in push-pull)
eVGA x58 3xSLI board (the non-classified one)
6GB Corsair XMS3 DDR-1600 CL8 Ram
640Gb Caviar Black HDD
2x Radeon 1GB 4850 in CrossfireX
LG Sata 22x DVD-RW
OCZ 700W ModXStream PSU
All mounted in a CoolerMaster HAF-922 Case

Now, I've installed Windows 7 Enterprise on it, and it seems to be running fine. I had a question about my temperatures. Using Speedfan and the Motherboard LCD Display, I ran Prime95 for 15 minutes in 2 different fan configurations. Those configs being an additional fan in the side vent of the case mounted at the top near the CPU heatsink pushing out and pulling in. I initially had it blowing air towards the CPU, and after running Prime95, I saw a max of 60C on all cores, before it settled to hovering between 58-59C. This I thought was weird, because my idle temperatures are 26-29C. I then switched the fan to exhaust air instead of intake it, and my idle dropped to 24-27C, but my load went up to 62C before settling around 60-61C. Looking at various other reviews for the Prolimatech on the 920 (yeah, different processor I know), but the difference between idle and load was only like 10-15C usually, instead of the 30C I am experiencing. Is this weird? I know that it is within spec, but I was thinking I'd get 50C or so under load. Also, the ambient temperature is ~22C (70F). Anyone have thoughts? I've also made sure to be running the newest BIOS, and there is absolutely 0 dust build up as this is a brand new system.
 
I'm running 50c idle and 82c load at 4GHz on air with my Cogage True Spirit so I can't really relate with you. My case is a small LianLi PCA05B and the room is pretty warm which might be impacting my temps.

Join us on the 930 overclocking thread once you finalize your OC.
 
Definitely. I plan to OC, but not quite yet, this computer is fast enough, and not having it overclocked gives it more longevity (or it does in my head). But as for the temps I listed, do you think those are then okay?
 
Well I can't say for your board/setup/all that but on Intel boards, the fan controllers seem to be of the opinion that 60 degrees is about what the CPU should run. What that means is that if it starts running over 60 degrees, they spin the fans up more to bring it back down, if it runs less, they slow the fans down to keep the noise down.

I've got a Q9550 and there's about a 40 degree delta between idle and load temps. Reason is that the fan never spins up beyond its minimum. The system figures the CPU is fine temperature wise so keeps the fan slow to keep noise down.
 
Interesting, thanks for the information.

I just re-ran the tests this time using Real Temp 3.40, and I got shockingly higher temperatures. Idle is around 48C, while Max during Prime95 was 85C. I definitely think these are high. There was a slight overclock, as my processor is running at 2.93Ghz as opposed to the 2.8 it was designed for, and I think this is because it's finicky with the memory i am using. I think I'm going to re-do the thermal paste and reseat the heatsink, and hopefully that will help out temperatures. If anyone has tips on how to properly apply thermal paste to the megahalems, I'm all ears.
 
Interesting, thanks for the information.

I just re-ran the tests this time using Real Temp 3.40, and I got shockingly higher temperatures. Idle is around 48C, while Max during Prime95 was 85C. I definitely think these are high. There was a slight overclock, as my processor is running at 2.93Ghz as opposed to the 2.8 it was designed for --snip--
I get high temps as well, 89C max @ 4.0 GHz w/ 1.325v. I get this using an H50 and about the same using a TRUE. However, 2.93 GHz is what you'll get with Turbo Mode on (default), and that seems awfully high for 2.93 GHz. Did you use too much TIM (aka thermal goo/paste)? What kind of TIM did you use? Did you lap your heatsink? I'd like to find ways to reduce my own temps, so while our situations are a little different, I think answering these questions would help determine the problem. Also, what's your ambient temp inside the case?
 
Back
Top