Core i7 930 Discussion

thenewrick

Limp Gawd
Hi. I'm thinking of building some new computer guts in the near future. I heard there might be a Bloomfield 930 coming out? It sounds like by then USB 3.0 and SATA 6 will be standard. How do you think the 930 prices, and 920 prices will be, when the 930 drops?

It is very likely that the 930 will be a direct replacement for the 920 at the same price point. Computers always get faster so rather than lower the price, Intel prefers to offer more standard performance rather than having to reduce their price. The Core i7 920 is a great CPU and when fully overclocked, the 930 is not likely to be any better. The i7-920 D0 is more than capable of equaling any of its big brothers in terms of performance.

isnt the 930 going to have the turbo features of the recent 1156?

not what he was asking.

as to what he was asking; I have seen no information describing the behavior of the i7 930's turbo.

thanks, I could have sworn I read an article that said they would have the improved turbo.

Hi. I'm thinking of building some new computer guts in the near future. I heard there might be a Bloomfield 930 coming out? It sounds like by then USB 3.0 and SATA 6 will be standard. How do you think the 930 prices, and 920 prices will be, when the 930 drops?
Don't get your hopes up on USB3 & SATA3 being "standard" anytime earlier than the end of 2010, if not the end of 2011.

What I was saying is why would 930 not have it if all the Bloomfields do.

They are referring to the i7s having a vastly inferior turbo boost to the i5.

It's pretty much the one thing I'm looking out for in the 930 myself.

so the new lynnfields have a better turbo boost system than the bloomfields? hmm i hope the 930 is good

They are referring to the i7s having a vastly inferior turbo boost to the i5.

It's pretty much the one thing I'm looking out for in the 930 myself.

wish people would stop using i7 to describe socket 1366/x58. i7 exists on 1156/p55.

I submit to the committee that we refer to the new intel platforms by their chipset!:D

I agree but since i7 has been 1366 since birth people just keep referring to it, when you are correct its now on both sockets.

There is not much known about the Core i7 930 yet. It's supposedly coming out in Q1 2010, and it's probably having a 2.8GHz clockspeed. What we can hope for:

-2nd generation on-die power control unit, and therefore better turbo modes (same as Lynnfield)
-Manufactured on the new 32nm process (same as Gulftown engineering sample)

I'm really not all that sure about the former, and the 930 being manufactured on 32nm is unlikely. But as said, we can always hope for these features. :)

[X]eltic;1034965209 said:
There is not much known about the Core i7 930 yet. It's supposedly coming out in Q1 2010, and it's probably having a 2.8GHz clockspeed. What we can hope for:

-2nd generation on-die power control unit, and therefore better turbo modes (same as Lynnfield)

I'm really not all that sure about the former, and the 930 being manufactured on 32nm is unlikely. But as said, we can always hope for these features. :)

Yea not sure Intel want to do this unless they plan to kill off 1156 completely.

I think we might see it getting lynnfields updated features but highly doubt it will be 32nm that will be saved for i9 at the start of next year.

Manufactured on the new 32nm process (same as Gulftown engineering sample)
The chances of that are basically zero. There are no 32nm quad-core Nehalem CPUs on Intel's roadmap.

The chances of that are basically zero. There are no 32nm quad-core Nehalem CPUs on Intel's roadmap.

I always think of road maps are rough guesses to the future. The recession messed up a lot of road maps as I recall. e.g., 1156 release date pushed back because there was a large overstock of 775 still in the market.

Not saying you are wrong but I am saying that your justification is not bullet proof

What I was saying is why would 930 not have it if all the Bloomfields do.

The lynnfield/1156 chips use a revised version of Turbo Boost.

The Turbo Boost on the Bloomfields maxes out at multiplier +2, ie if only one core is being used, it increases the multiplier by 2 on that core (+266mhz), if two cores are being used it increases the multiplier by 1 (+133mhz).

The Turbo on the Lynnfields increases the multiplier by much higher values, the i7 870 has a single core multiplier increase of 5 (+665mhz), and by 4 (+532 mhz) for two cores.

It is not known whether the i7 930 will use the newer or older version of Turbo Boost.

Back