Core i7 920 voltage question

SulSeeker

Gawd
My google-fu is not working this morning...

Can someone list the Reference voltages below for a C0 920. I'm BSODing @ 3.6 with everything on auto and ram underclocked to 1080 (1333 sticks.) The only voltage this board gives me is 1.224-1.232 on CPU Vcore...

Cpu Voltage
Cpu PLL Voltage
QPI Voltage
Dram voltage
NB Voltage
ICH Votage

Thanks in advance

I have a D0 with everything (except cpu voltage) on auto and ram at 1600. My only OC is the memory controller. I keep the CPU at 1.15v without a problem, and it could probably go lower if I tried. I don't remember what my motherboard defaulted the voltage to, but it was quite a bit higher than that.

Here is something I found on the overclock.net forums just now:
CPU Voltage 1.25
CPU PLL Voltage - 1.88
QPI/DRAM Core Volt - 1.25
IOH Volt - 1.10
IOH PCIE Volt - 1.5
ICH Volt - 1.2
ICH PCIE Volt - 1.5

That's the most your board can do is 1.232 vcore? That can't be right. You should be OK to put up to around 1.4v into a chip (my 920 would sit at 4.2 no prolem with vcore at 1.375 and qpi at 1.385, but I also had stronger memory requirements with my hypers so the QPI was a bit more needed.

My google-fu is not working this morning...

Can someone list the Reference voltages below for a C0 920. I'm BSODing @ 3.6 with everything on auto and ram underclocked to 1080 (1333 sticks.) The only voltage this board gives me is 1.224-1.232 on CPU Vcore...

Cpu Voltage
Cpu PLL Voltage
QPI Voltage
Dram voltage
NB Voltage
ICH Votage

Thanks in advance

If so, it's likely that your RAM modules are failing.

That's the most your board can do is 1.232 vcore? That can't be right. You should be OK to put up to around 1.4v into a chip (my 920 would sit at 4.2 no prolem with vcore at 1.375 and qpi at 1.385, but I also had stronger memory requirements with my hypers so the QPI was a bit more needed.

No, that voltage is what it's at now with everything stock... but that's the only voltage I'm sure of. The mobo doesn't say what the voltage is at, only how far away it is from the reference voltage... I.E. instead of 1.50, 1.51, 1.52, and so on... it displays +.01. +.02, +.03... the only reference I'm sure of is Vcore which is does display.

This thread has come in handy the last few days for me. I've been fine tuning my i3-540 at 4.2GHz, helping a friend get stable with his i5-2500k at 4.5GHz, and just starting to OC my "work" i7 920-D0.

I would not be running things on Auto for an overclock that high, sometimes the board tries to stabilize itself with more and more voltage than is really required (in different voltage departments). While it may not be your vCore it could be a different voltage.

Why don't you just set everything to default and check what your bios reports as the stock voltages? (unless your bios doesn't do that)
In that case, you should probably check the voltage with a software such as Hardware Monitor, Open Hardware Monintor, CPU Z, etc.

And also, i thought stock vCore was different chip to chip?

Just want to make you aware of one thing though, don't expect your C0 to overclock like a D0. Generally they're quite a bit different.
My 920 is a C0 and review 1.375v to achieve 3.96GHz and runs hot (85c+), for me to get 4GHz i need over 1.4v which means it runs far too hot or far too loud.
D0 chips on the other hand shouldn't require more than 1.3v at all to get 4.0-4.2GHz+

Back