Core i7 920 to 3820?

Derfman

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an OC'd Core i7 920 at 4Ghz, what I want to do is slowly upgrade piece by piece to a 3820 system, and pass on my current system (Motherboard, RAM, CPU) to my girlfriend as a birthday present. She is currently using my 4 year old laptop to game with me (we play RIFT, EQ2, and she has gotten into FPS recently, so we do a variety of gaming).

Now I'm trying to figure out if I should go balls deep into a 2011 socket system, when I went with my current system I was hoping that it would be the upgrade path of the future, with it's triple channel awesomeness, but then Intel went to a dual channel socket for it's next generation of i7's, that is until the 2011 socket had come out. I'm not entirely concerned about getting stuck with another high end socket that won't see much Intel love over the next 2 years, since when I make this upgrade unless the 6 core processors come out in force with a $300 price tag I wouldn't even want to upgrade, but I am curious.

I had priced a mid end motherboard with good OC potential (based on user reviews), with the 3820, and 8 sticks of 4GB RAM, and had come a little over $600. Granted a still need to buy a decent mid end PSU for my girlfriend's PC, and I have a old graphics card that I will put in there until I find a good deal (most likely here from you guys on the For Sale forum).

I apologize for this mess of a post, but I just want to know, would I be best served by putting this money out and going with the 2011 socket, or should I consider other options?

I do intend to OC this new processor using my CoolerMaster V10 cooling system, so keeping in mind it's top threshold for OC potential without an insanely good water cooling system. :)

EDIT: My signature is a bit out of date, I currently use a Corsair AX1200 as my PSU, since my Antec finally died (when I was living with friend's these guys never used the air conditioner and last summer's heat finally got to it).

I went from a 920 to a 2700k and i loved the upgrade, the extra heat my old system was pumping in to my room sucked espically in the summer.

Sounds to me you should do the upgrade - and get her an SSD and decent video card, sounds like a keeper 2 me man.

If you have a specific reason to buy the workstation platform, like RAM or you absolutely need the 12 threads, otherwise you should avoid it. Considering your usage you'd get the same out of a Z77 + 3770K as you would on a 2011 socket.

Last edited:
yep the 1155 socket {3770k} is the last cpu there going to make for that socket. the 2011 u will be able to throw a 3820 in. later on upgrade to the newest greatest for far less than a 3930 later down the road!! win win all the way around

Wait till Haswell, that's what I'm doing. Unless you have some immediate pressing need a decent O/C on a 920 is still perfectly viable.

agrees with kor unless you cant wait and your getting the performance you need wait

Did you guys read the first post? Not to be rude, but it's so he can swap systems for his gamer GF whose on an old laptop now... Do the upgrade dude, it's a totally reasonable plan.

Last edited:
If you have a specific reason to buy the workstation platform, like RAM or you absolutely need the 12 threads, otherwise you should avoid it. Considering your usage you'd get the same out of a Z77 + 3770K as you would on a 2011 socket.

That's a good point, the only other upgrade path for 2011 would be the Ivy bridge E CPUs and by that time Haswell would be a go, if really depends how much you want the 12 threads and/or the quad channel, from what i heard a decent Z77 board and 3770k should yield fairly equivalent performance

Back