• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Core i7-920 - Silent Cooler & OC

ToddW2

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
4,017
Building my new system, and I want to take the Core i7-920 to 3.5ghz (I`m hoping) but want to keep the fan(s) for the CPU nearly silent... the other two fans in my system will be as silent as possible too, and move just enough air to keep it all cool.

What does everyone suggest for a heatsink / fan combo to keep the CPU cool, yet allow me to OC, and not be noticeable.

My current system I can't even tell it's on pretty much... gotta love the Antec P180.. this new system is utilizing the P183 case too.

I don't mind buying the heatsink fan combo and then replacing the fan with an even better one too... I just want it to be faster but not loud :)

What do ya`ll suggest for those requirements ??

Thans!
 
What are you wanting to pay? Is this Aircooling only? Since you said HS, I am guessing so, my choice would be the TRUE Rev C. (can be had here with a fan), I would also suggest getting extra fan holders for push/pull. Since you are looking for quiet my pick right now for a 25mm fan are the GT fans, a bit pricey, but great fans, and I would not suggest higher speeds unless you have a fan controller.
 
Yep.
Air cool only.

And I don't HAVE to get to 3.5ghz... I just want to OC it as much as possible while staying on AIR, and staying as silent as possible :D
 
Yep.
Air cool only.

And I don't HAVE to get to 3.5ghz... I just want to OC it as much as possible while staying on AIR, and staying as silent as possible :D

Well, the [H] did a review of the new Rev C. and at 3.6GHz with 1.45v vCore even with the lowest speed fan (800RPM) it only topped 53.9C, so with the fans I listed in push pull I would think 4GHz would be doable (with good case airflow, and assuming the chip will do 4GHz).
 
Back
Top