Core i7 920 RMA

NobleX13

Supreme [H]ardness
My Core i7 920 C0 stepping failed this morning, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what their RMA experience with Intel was like? I'm not entirely sure I know which stock HSF of mine belongs with it, if that matters.

I have already researched that part, thanks! I was more looking for user experiences.

Unless you have multiple i7's, this shouldnt be a problem. The i7 HS is much larger than other series in physical size as well as the mounting mechanism for the larger socket. As for RMA, knock on wood, never had an Intel processor fail on me in the many years I have used them. But like mentioned, I havent heard bad things about it.

I just did it last week, Intel is awesome. Next day air for $25 if you want to cross ship (I did it because I didn't have another PC at work), and a hold for the value of the CPU (Which they charged 8 times accidentally) and I shipped it back the next day.

Very Painless.

Can they tell if your chip is OEM or retail?

You also MUST return the stock heatsink with the cpu, another way they can tell because oem's don't come with stock heatsinks. I guess you could buy a heatsink on ebay but they would just check the cpu numbers and you'll get skrewed there.

They check if it is retail or OEM based on the serial number of the processor, which determines which channel it was sold through. At any rate, I am waiting to send it in until a second motherboard shows up, just to be %100 sure. Thanks!

This chip did not die after all, I just had two bad motherboards.... Thanks!

Intel chipe fail thats a new one keep us posted

You must not work on very many Intel setups.

I have seen quite a few P4 chips that died, some that were not stable with HT enabled, and even some DOA ones. I'm talking 10+ This was back when P4s were the norm.

I have also seen a few Core2 chips that have failed.

I have seen far less AMD chips fail in comparison.. the majority of them being K6-2s I killed while doing crazy overclocking experiments on... And even a few Athlon XP chips... one of which I broke into 3 pieces because I thightened my waterblock down just a bit too much.

I RMA'D a 920 just 3 weeks ago. It was sent to Louisville, KY and my new CPU was shipped from the same place. I spoke on the phone to a iNtel Rep who was very helpful, he had me read all the information from the plate of the CPU and then gave me the RMA number and address to ship to. I had no problem at all.

I was not required to send back the heatsink & fan. The iNtel Rep just told me to ship it in a secure container so I put it in bubble rap and purchased a Pakmail envelope and shipped UPS. No sweat at all.

Back