core i7 920 overclock

njc2482

Limp Gawd
I overclocked my i7 to 3.8ghz and my max loads are 85c is this right with a thermalright ultra xtreme?

I thought it would be lower then this.

...take a look at the giant i7 overclocking & heat threads that are at the top of the page.

Do you have the actual TRUE 1336 unit or are you just trying to use one designed for the 775 socket at the moment?

85C is a little too warm for comfort... You might want to consider going back a little and see if the temps lower significantly.

85 is normal with TRUE. I run mine at 4.2ghz with 1.513 bios 1.504 load and one of the core tops around 90 with dual instances of IBT running. My TRUE is running with dual Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000 push-pull setup in an open case.

Under load from the program that i normally use everyday the temp never reaches 80 even when utilizing all 8 cores (x264) and the fan at the lowest speed allowed by my fan controller.

You should overclock to 3.2ghz @ 1.24 volts with turbo it will be @ 3.36....
Your temp will go down dramatically.

It's useless to go to 3.8ghz... Performance difference is marginal in real life but temp difference is huge.

"Most" 920's should be able to get to 3.8GHz with <1.325v Vcore. It takes a noticeable jump in voltage to get to/near 4.0GHz. So your temps on a TRUE will depend on how much voltage you're running through to your CPU. If you're giving it more than 1.325v, chances are you'll still have the same stability at 1.325v or less. My Prime95 smallFFT load temps at 3.8GHz are high 60's to low 70's with a TRUE.

If your Vcore is OK and you're still getting 85*, try re-seating the TRUE and see if it helps. If not, you just got a hotter running chip.

Dude you haven't seen anything yet; run core damage and you'll see 100° easily. Prime95 is like a care bear compared to this.

When you do also run CPU-Z just to make sure the clock speed isn't being throttled too.

"Most" 920's should be able to get to 3.8GHz with <1.325v Vcore. It takes a noticeable jump in voltage to get to/near 4.0GHz. So your temps on a TRUE will depend on how much voltage you're running through to your CPU. If you're giving it more than 1.325v, chances are you'll still have the same stability at 1.325v or less. My Prime95 smallFFT load temps at 3.8GHz are high 60's to low 70's with a TRUE.

If your Vcore is OK and you're still getting 85*, try re-seating the TRUE and see if it helps. If not, you just got a hotter running chip.

Yep... mine does 3.8 with 1.310 vcore and loads (core0 - always a little warmer than the other three) around 72c max (with the abient @ ~ 20c) with a CM V8. Going from there to 4ghz requires 1.4 or so and I have not fully validated that... 3.8 seems like a good landing spot on air.

Yep... mine does 3.8 with 1.310 vcore and loads (core0 - always a little warmer than the other three) around 72c max (with the abient @ ~ 20c) with a CM V8. Going from there to 4ghz requires 1.4 or so and I have not fully validated that... 3.8 seems like a good landing spot on air.

Ya, mine will do 4.0GHz on 1.4v too . . . but load temps under Prime95 were into the 90's so I said F*** that and went back to 3.8GHz @ 1.2875v. It's not worth the increase voltage and 20*+ gain in load temps for 200MHz of extra speed!!!

yeah, I think with a good water cooler or freezone type cooler 4.0 might be doable on less vcore, but not sure about that... regardless, 3.8 was my target on air and I am just happy my cpu/mobo obliged. :)

Back