core i7 920 max vcore ?

heydo6

Limp Gawd
what's the max vcore these chips can handle ?

i just put together and new rig yesturday , still testing . i tryed some quick settings of 20 x 200 1.35v vcore 1.35 qpi/ram Pllv 1.95v . booted right up no problem stable as can be . 30 min max load is 60c ish w/ prime 95 large fft . ram 8-8-8-24 1T 1.60v 1600MHz , so now i was just wondering how much vcore these things are rated for ?

p6t se asus
2x3gb corsair TR3X6G1600C8 G
core i7 920 w/ swiftech apogee xt
Pa 120.3 & 655

Last edited:
The datasheet says the absolute max is 1.55 volts for the core but most people run them with less than that to keep the heat under control.

datasheet.png

Last edited:
thanks very much ,

if intel is saying the chip can handel 1.55v then it surely can handle more then that . but your saying before i even get to 1.55v my water cooling just isn't going to be enough ? i am working out a router problem so not much time to push this chip further yet .

thanks very much ,

if intel is saying the chip can handel 1.55v then it surely can handle more then that . but your saying before i even get to 1.55v my water cooling just isn't going to be enough ? i am working out a router problem so not much time to push this chip further yet .

I have been looking at a lot of overclocks and very few people even approach 1.5v. So either it's not needed or not possible.

If you need to push the chip past 1.55 v chances are the OC will fail....windows simply wont boot the chip at that......and in my experience the max for each manufacture are typically close, especially in the heat/voltage category, maybe not OC'ing, but those becuase you kinda need to know when to stop..

With the i7-920 D0 stepping CPUs, some users are hitting 4.2 GHz with 1.26 volts and 4.4 GHz with 1.36 volts and are LinX stable at those voltages. Most overclockers are not going to need to be anywhere near the 1.55 volts absolute maximum limit set by Intel. Very few people will gain anything by going that high.

Yeah, you shouldn't have to go anywhere near the max 1.55v to achieve any OC you want (within reason). I got 190 x20 @ 1.275v stable on mine, and that's on a C0. I know it's stable because I've been folding on it 24/7 maxing out all threads and it hasn't skipped a beat/clock yet.

Hope this helps.

From what I've been told you will hit unsafe temperatures before you even get close to unsafe Vcore.

here is my bios setting if any is wondering ... i am at 4.2ghz now with 1.35v still

Last edited:
Yeah, you shouldn't have to go anywhere near the max 1.55v to achieve any OC you want (within reason). I got 190 x20 @ 1.275v stable on mine, and that's on a C0. I know it's stable because I've been folding on it 24/7 maxing out all threads and it hasn't skipped a beat/clock yet.

Hope this helps.

does Folding report errors back to you now? If not; it's not a stress test and shouldn't be used to justify stability. You could very well be sending in erroneous work units and not know it.

if i was omly looking for prime95 stable then i might just leave it here . 100% oc would nice but i'll be happy if i can get to 4.7 or so bench stable which still seems very possible right now .

i thought some of you might use this for trial and error , and others may help with advice much easier .

see how long this ram can hold out at this speed .... my 3 x 120 yate loons run about 800- 1200 rpm so my cooling is completely silent .

o ya i live in florida where it's 81f in my house right now , not like some with 20c outside ....

Last edited:
does Folding report errors back to you now? If not; it's not a stress test and shouldn't be used to justify stability. You could very well be sending in erroneous work units and not know it.

With the windows client you don't get errors messages, but I run the Linux SMP client in a VM and it shows a constant log of its progress and status. No, I get no errors at all. When I first started my OC, it would error out and throw away the work unit. Prime95 would also error out within a few mins. When it did that, I adjusted the voltage and RAM speed and ran Prime stable for half a day, then started folding on it and never got any errors. So I trust I'm not sending any bad data/WUs.

Back