• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Core i7 920 HSF for mild OC

DuyNgn

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
252
Hey guys,

So I just got myself a Core i7 920 and am planning to OC this bad boy to at least 3.0Ghz. What I'm wondering is if the stock HSF that comes with it is sufficient for cooling.

I do have a Zalman 7500B all copper HSF. Is that better than stock HSF and/or sufficient for cooling an overclocked Core i7 920? I bought the Zalman a while ago; it was(and still states on newegg) aimed at CPUs the likes of P4 and Athlons, so I'm not sure if it's up to par to cool the new Core i7.

I know an obvious solution is just to go buy a better HSF, but I would like to use one of these if possible.

In case you're wondering, this will be housed in an Chieftec Dragon series case(yes, that super old case from the P4 days :p) so you have an idea of its air flow environment.

Thanks!

EDIT: I didn't consider the mounting clip compatibility for the 1366 socket... I'm guessing the zalman is too old for that...
 
I would do it if you don't have to increase the voltage much.

My stock cooler had my stock 920 at 30c idle. IDK if that is normal, but I find that highly acceptable for a stock cooler.
 
What I'm wondering is if the stock HSF that comes with it is sufficient for cooling.
At stock speeds and light overclocks, yes.
I do have a Zalman 7500B all copper HSF. Is that better than stock HSF and/or sufficient for cooling an overclocked Core i7 920? I bought the Zalman a while ago; it was(and still states on newegg) aimed at CPUs the likes of P4 and Athlons, so I'm not sure if it's up to par to cool the new Core i7.
Not only will you not be able to mount that heatsink onto an LGA1366 socket, but it's also probably worse than the stock cooler. Not worth bothering with.
 
Back
Top