Core i7 920 @ 4 GHZ

annaconda

[H]F Junkie
Hardware:

Core i7 920
Gigabyte U58 X58 Motherboard
ATI 4850
2 X 150GB 10000RPM Raptors in RAID 0
2 X 1GB Wintec DDR3 1333mhz Memory Dual Channel (so far)
MCP655 Pump
MCW30 GPU
D-tek Fuzion
2 X MCR 320 Radiators
Reservoir
Antec Neo 550 PSU Modular
ATI HDTV Tunner 650 PCI
Thermaltake Armor LCS Case

Corei7@4351.jpg

upto 3.6ghz i did not had to change any voltage of any thing just changed the Mutli 180

QPI 36
Uncore 16

Actually there are few bugs in BIOS. In BIOS the memory settings is

8-8-8-24 1t @ 1600mhz with 8X multiplier, but in windows it is showing up as 10 cas.

So far LOAD temperature is above 50C on Core 0, but rest of them are below 60C all the time under load. I think the reason is not the correct mounting kit for D-tek Fuzion, it is temperary until i ge the real mount from D-tek.

I will post some numbers today later, last night i was trying to figure out the overclock.

Once i get the Mount for the CPU block i am planning to lap the CPU.

So, what is the max air OC these things are getting so far? Do you have to go water to get 4GHz?

The temperatures i am mentioning is with the 4850 overclocked in the Loop, but then again i have MCR320 for each hardware. One for cpu and one for gpu.

My loop runs Reservoir->PUMP->RAD->CPU->RAD2->GPU->Back to Res.

some folks were able to overclock upto 3.8 with Air. Like i also mentioned i did not change any volts for any thing and i was able to overclock up 3.6 with default volts.

are you using this memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161278
?

do you know if there's any difference oc'ing with 2 sticks 3 or 6 slots filled

just my inquiry :p

Yes i am using this memory. Well i have 2GB right now i would like to buy another 1GB for tripple channel buy cost is almost double. I you buy 4gb 4 x1gb i will buy 1gb from you. :)

The overclocking is super so far with the default voltage i am running 1520 mhz. :D

Very Nice. If I had a reason to grab I7, I would be all over the 920. By far best bang for the buck. ;) Add SSD's and that thing should scream. :)

There is a mojor Vdrop in Windows. Gigabyte need to update the BIOS ASAP to fix this issue.

Have you done any stability testing? 4ghz is nice but I can do that with the stock Intel heatsink. It won't last more than 2 minutes at 100% load but I could easily get a few screen shots.

So the interesting thing I just noticed as I was getting my 4ghz on-air screenshot is how the BIOS dynamically adjusts the multiplier downward to reduce the clock speed if the CPU gets too hot!! Look at this; CPU-Z went down to a 5x multiplier after running core damage for just one minute.

This explains why my system would always reboot after running core damage for exactly 1:43 every time I tried--its a panic reset!! I'll bet once it exceeds the maximum CPU threshold it automatically shuts off.

I guess this makes a good case for water cooling your CPU ;)

old skool you need to disable C1E in the Bios. I see you are running 920 @ 1.441 is that safe? I thought 1.35 is the limit for Core i7?

I think I will keep mine around 3.6ghz for now, if I want to go higher i will, but I am only putting 1.26 volts into it.

I dont know where you guys get those numbers. I go to intel website to check max volt/temp

what is max safe temp for i7? There is blank spot on intel site

yeah thats a real nice oc.
my plan is 20x166 at stock voltage and cooling. and 20x200 once the mirs come in and I go water.

GLSauron, you'll easily hit that on stock voltage, I'm running lower than stock volts on the same setup and I'm running 166x20.

GLSauron, you'll easily hit that on stock voltage, I'm running lower than stock volts on the same setup and I'm running 166x20.
yeah, Im just wanting to be conservative until the water gets in.
Now, if only somebody would buy my incredibly low priced laptop so I can get the mobo and ram! :mad: :mad: :mad:

nice... I just pulled the trigger on an msi eclipse and am going to get the cpu and mem tomorrow. hoping for a BF deal.. not sure it'll happen, but I can hope. :)

3.8 on air sounds good to me... I'll have to air cool it until the I can get a water block for 1366.

Oh, and by "on-air" I'm using a TRUE 120 with AS5, on a gigabyte x58 extreme board.
Coolermaster 690 with lots of air flow (scythe fans), and one of those 120 mm 1900 rpm fans blowing through the TRUE 120. The TRUE 120 really benefits from a good fan (and these scythes are nice and quiet!).
This has been stable since a week before the official release.

I should give more info:

Intel I7 920
Gigabyte x58-extreme (its a wonderful OC'ing mobo... you can do dozens of tweaks in a matter of minutes due to the way it boots up and rePOSTs to old settings if it doesn't like them... and usually it only posts on settings that will be stable in windows under stress).

Vcore 1.35 volts (it was stable at 1.325, but I gave it slightly more just cause temps and where I was at was not even close to an issue... again 59 C MAX).
QPI 1.26 volts

190 FSB
8:2 ram (using ddr 1600 sticks, gskill, 8-8-8-24)
36x QPI
16x uncore (THIS ONE WAS HUGELY IMPORTANT... going below a 16x multiplier made the system unstable above 3.5 GHZ!!! Don't ask me why).

Again thermalright 120 ultra extreme with an LGA 1366 bolt-thru kit, arctic silver 5, lapped heatsink, scythe SY1225SL12SH (110 CFM/37 dBA) on the heatsink. Coolermaster 690, with 2 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust, 1 front input (negative pressure ftw). Its quiet but its a tornado in there!

Back