• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Core i5 750 compatability question

yep. That is a 1156 socket so an i5-750 is an 1156 and so is that board.
 
I would just recommend getting a i7 920 if you live near a Microcenter if they are still selling them for 199.99 and you will have more power for the same price. If not you can use the true but you will need a bracket to make it compatible.
 
Yeah I am having trouble finding a place that sells the bracket.. But my ram I recently bought is only ocmpatible with the core i5. Also, I realized that is an sli motherboard and I am in need of a crossfire mobo. Any suggestions? I know this is the CPU forum but I don't think I should make another post.
 
The motherboard supports CrossFire too, not just SLI. I think all P55/LGA1156 boards support CrossFire (see here). At least all the ones I've looked at.
 
Not at all impossible. It's nowadays usually only limited by software due to SLI licensing issues.
 
So my 2 radeon 4870s will work fine on this mobo although it says nothing about crossfire support?
 
And it does say something about CrossFire support, just check the link I provided to MSI's official site. Vendors rarely have the full specs listed :)
 
You can also save $50-60 if you get the P55-GD65 instead of the GD80...
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011083&prodlist=celebros
MSI comparison: http://www.msicomputer.com/index.php?func=compareindex&prod_no=1880;1881

I believe the main difference is the GD65 doesn't have the LED debugging features of the GD80 for hardcore overclockers. The GD80's SuperPipe also covers a little more but I don't know exactly which parts it covers more.
You can see the SuperPipe covering more in this pic (SuperPipe is the heatsinks surrounding the CPU socket):
GD80: http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=19544
GD65: http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2009/09/msi-p55-gd65-review/1.jpg (less SuperPipe)


GD80 reviews
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/08/msi_p55gd80_motherboard_review
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-p55-gd80-review-test/1

GD65 review
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2009/09/11/msi-p55-gd65-review/1

I have a GD65. Also supports 2 card SLI/CrossFire.
 
Last edited:
Hmmm you are 5 minutes too late lol I just got the GD80 but ty for the information! =] It's good to know you are pleased with the board line-up
 
jerryrigged, yup, unfortunately so. Although I don't think 4870s are fast enough to get a performance decrease from running at 8x.
 
Yup. My current plan is also one of these three - 5770, 5850 and 5870. Unless GT300 beats 5870 and is similarly priced. But the timeframe for my purchase is either for Christmas or mid-January, availability, price and performance of the GT300 pending, of course.
 
Back
Top