Core i5-2500k problems

steakman1971

2[H]4U
I bought a used system about 2 years ago (from the HardForums!) that features an ASRock P67H2-A mobo, Core i5 2500k processor, Corsair water cooler, Corsair 400W PS, and Patriot DDR3 2X2 2000MHZ ram (and a decent case) - I got this for $175 delivered, so it was a pretty good deal. I added in my old GigaByte 560ti video card, Samsung 250GB SSD, and also added Corsair 2X4 GB 1600 MHZ ram (I had this in my bin of old stuff I recycle).
Long story shortened up - this system was very solid running Windows 10 for about 2 years. It's my wife's computer. She doesn't game, mostly hits the web and does a little office productivity on it. A few months or so the system started freezing. I'd have to power cycle to bring it back. This was intermittent. Now, the system will usually not boot into Windows. I can get into BIOS - so it posts. However, Windows rarely boots all the way up.

I tried to reinstall Windows - have not been able to do this. It freezes.

I have started troubleshooting. Tried a different SSD thinking I was having issues with the Samsung. No change in behavior - can't install Windows without it freezing.

Removed the video card and put in a cheap one. Same deal - still freezes.

I then played around with the RAM. They are different speeds, so this could be problematic. When playing around with the RAM, I did have a little luck getting Windows to at least sometimes let me login although the system was not stable and would still freeze. Both sets of RAM have the same issue. (Tried them separately from each other).

The mobo is running at default speeds. It was overclocked when I bought it - although it was very stable so this wasn't an issue then. Now, default bios settings.

I also tried a different PSU. Had an old OCZ 600W in my closet. It didn't make a difference with the problem.

Any ideas on what I might check into? I don't have any additional ram laying around and not sure how much I want to put into this system.

Since it started having problems in the last few months, I'm wondering if there could be a capacitor or something on the mobo that is failing.

I would personally try new RAM, reset BIOS, plug in only one drive, and go from there.

and test the cmos battery. a dying batt will cause all sorts of gremlins to come out.

Most likely the RAM, but in any case you might want to try the following:

Boot into safe mode.
Open a command prompt with Administrator's rights then type:
sfc /scannow

If it found errors and fixed them reboot, run again until no errors are found. If it's still not fixed or it tells you that it found errors but couldn't fix them then run:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Is recommending memtest86+ out of date now?

That is one of the first things I would try if it is memory issues.

Tried different DIMM slots with the individual RAM modules?

Back