Core Duo/Solo Core2Duo Pentium M Dual-Core... trying to get it straight...

pdp76

Weaksauce
Ok, I'm trying to figure out how all these processors are related, if at all to each other. Here's what I've gathered so far.... oh and yes, this is for the mobile platform.

Question 1:
1) Pentium M, oldest, single core processor.
2) Core Duo... basically a Pentium M with 2 cores.
3) Gathering from 2), a Core Solo is a Core Duo with one core, which makes it basically a Pentium M?

Question 2:
1) Core Duo is similar to Core2Duo, same micro architecture, but with lots of features stripped
2) Dual-Core is same as Core2Duo, but with less cache and some features stripped
3) Based on 2) and 3), does this mean Dual-Core is pretty much the same as a Core Duo?

Want to buy a laptop soon, and obviously Core2Duo is the way to go, but I was just wondering how much I'd actually lose if I went with Core Duo or Dual-Core, or even Core Solo/Pentium M. Thanks!

well i dont think they even make the Pentium M anymore and if they do stay the hell away from it

The dual core refers to any cpu that has 2 cores

Core duo came after pentium D but before Core 2 duo

if at all possible get something with a Core 2 Duo and not Core duo as the Core2 architecture is much better

Get a Core 2 Duo if you can. However, if you do get a Core Duo that's fine as well; Core 2 Duo is based on Core Duo anyway with some improvements. I have a Core Duo 2.16GHz in my laptop and it is really fast, but of course Core 2 Duo is a little faster. Just don't compromise on RAM to get the Core 2 Duo. I imagine you will be getting Vista on the new laptop, so I would take a Core Duo with 2GB RAM over a Core 2 Duo with 1GB. Also, you will see some laptops with "Pentium Dual-Core" processors, they are basically a Core Duo with less cache and a slower FSB. Just make sure you get a dual-core processor, it is worth every penny.

Back