core 2 or quad core?

Nvidia101

[H]ard|Gawd
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 CPU at 3.0ghz

Intel Q6600 - QUAD CORE CPU Runs at 2.4ghz

Im gone be using this pc for gaming. All new titles and old titles like bf2,hl2 ep 2. Will the 2.4 bottleneck me?

I would like the same answer. I mainly use mine for gaming and some other stuff.

current rig
AMD 4000+
2GB DDR 400
2x 7800 GTX256 in SLI

wait for Penryns Q9300, its basically an Q6600 on the new 45nm which equals lower heat and power and higher overclock, also they are 3.0GHZ I think.

the 9300 is 2.5
any high end game that matters is going to be multithreaded now, so no...2.5 is not going to bottleneck you.
I find it absurd that people even ask.

As pointed out in this thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1238307 -- your choice should be between the E6750 and Q6600 if you're OC'ing. And if you're not OC'ing, you should start OC'ing, lol.

If you can wait for the Penryns, do so. If you can't wait, you'll still get great performance out of the current Q6600 G0 chips.

I'm glad I caught this thread, I was about to get the q6600... I am going to wait now as long as the prices are similar. I guess I'll also have to start looking into overclocking as well... Not much of an over clocker as I'm afraid of screwing up my pc :p :)

If I may throw in this comment:

from what I have learned, the clock speed aka the amount of giga herz a processor has doesn't really say much of the acutal performance. It just a meassure that is used by the industry to make them sound cooler.. There are many other factors, like instructions per second, floating point operations per second etc.

What I am not sure about though is, what part of the processor really improves gaming performance? I guess mflops would be imporant... Could anyone explain that to me?

:D

Back