Core 2 duo to Core 2 Quad Question.

Fire488

Limp Gawd
My friend replaced his dual core with a quad core socket 775. He did not do a reinstall of the op sys (Vista 64 bit). His computer did boot and recognized the new processor, but still shows the dual core in the device manager. Will the op sys and programs work ok with the new quad core or does he have to do a reinstall? I say reinstall, but I'm not basing that on any knowledge on the subject. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You do not have to do an OS reinstall. Has he rebooted yet after he got into Windows?

Also try this. Go into BIOS and check if there are any settings that allows you to enable the different cores. If all cores are enabled or if no setting is available, reset the BIOS to default and reboot. This should allow Windows to see all of the cores.

You do not have to do an OS reinstall. Has he rebooted yet after he got into Windows?

Also try this. Go into BIOS and check if there are any settings that allows you to enable the different cores. If all cores are enabled or if no setting is available, reset the BIOS to default and reboot. This should allow Windows to see all of the cores.

He did reboot and the processor is showing that all cores are listed. Not sure if the programs and games will now support it or should they be reinstalled.

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. I googled it and on the Microsoft site they simply say to go into the device manager, right click on the cpu cores from the old dual core, and select "uninstall". When you reboot the old dual core won't show up anymore.

Back