• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Core 2 Duo or Dual Core?

Joined
Jun 17, 2004
Messages
43
Hi guys,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't for the life of me seem to find it in search results anywhere (been looking for about a half hour now).

Which is a better processor, a Core 2 Duo chip, or a Dual-core? I'm asking because I'll be buying a laptop soon and haven't really kept up to speed on recent processor developments...
 
I have an AMD dual-core 4400 @ 2.2 GHz which generates so much heat, ( I imagine because it's 65 nm fabrication ) that I have it stepped down to 1 GHz ( Cool and Quiet ) most of the time, except for gaming. I'm using Antec P-180 with all the case fans.


Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
is a 45nm fabrication so the temperatures and power consumption is lower:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037
 
It's for an Inspiron Laptop. My choices are :

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5750 (2.0GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache) (+$50)
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7250 (2MB cache/2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB), (+$310)
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5850 (2.16GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache) (+$150)
Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T2390 (1.86GHz/533Mhz FSB/1MB cache)
 
can you post other specs?? at those prices you might want to go with a lenovo thinkpad. they are cheaper and more reliable.
 
lenovo thinkpad r61 for $953.02

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo processor T8100 (2.1GHz 800MHz 3MBL2) 1
Operating system: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 1
Operating system language: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium - US English 1
Display type: 14.1 WXGA TFT, w/ Camera 1
System graphics: Intel GMA X3100 GM965 w/ 1394 1
Total memory: 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM) 1
Keyboard: Keyboard US English 1
Pointing Device: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader 1
Hard Drive: 160GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm 1
Optical device: ThinkPad Blu-ray Recordable Ultrabay Enhanced Drive 1
Wireless cards: Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (supporting Centrino Pro) 1
Bluetooth: Integrated Bluetooth PAN 1
Battery: 4 cell Li-Ion Battery 1
Power cord: Country Pack North America 1
Language Pack: Language Pack US English
 
The upgrade from the T5750 to the T5850 is definitely not worth $100, however $50 for the upgrade to the T5750 might be worth it.

I don't know how good you are with upgrading components, but you can buy the T7250 for much cheaper separately:

T7250 for $209.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819111328

Or even the T8100, though I'm not sure if the laptop in mind supports it. You should check with Dell before deciding to buy this one.

T8100 for $209.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819111003
 
>The upgrade from the T5750 to the T5850 is definitely not worth $100, however $50 for the upgrade to the T5750 might be worth it

That was pretty much my thinking as well. Since I can't see processor power being a big concern with this machine (as opposed to, say, ram or video), I'll go with the T5750.
 
Back
Top