Copying from password secured HD

GreatestOne

Limp Gawd
I have a laptop that is old and wont start anymore/too slow, or it blue screens so I cannot save the files through its WinXP. So I am trying to copy the files over after hooking up the HD only to my PC, but when I try to copy or access the Doc folder, it says you dont have permission etc... the laptop did operate with a XP login/password, and I have it. So how do I copy over files knowing this? I did apply all "Allow" permissions to the drive.

Taking ownership (which is what you need to do) is difficult enough to do manually that I never could figure it out, so I just use this registry hack that gives you a "Take Ownership" item on your right-click menu.

I usually use a Linux boot cd to copy files. No permission issues.

Taking ownership (which is what you need to do) is difficult enough to do manually that I never could figure it out, so I just use this registry hack that gives you a "Take Ownership" item on your right-click menu.

Yes yes... worked perfectly, exactly what I needed.... thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I usually use a Linux boot cd to copy files. No permission issues.

I love Linux as much as the next computer user but unfortunately I already tried the the first solution, LMAO... but for real, I have learned a lot of Linux in the past few months, out of necessity, but it still pisses me off LOL.

Back