copying dvd's?

Hi Everyone, I want to copy some of the kid's disney dvd's so that I can keep some of them in the car as well as in the house and also to have a copy in case they trash the originals. I have tried dvd shrink, but that will give me an error with most of the new dvd's being copy protected. Does anyone know of any software that I can try? It is legal for me to make one copy of a disk for my own use, right. I believe that as long as I am just using it as a backup and not doing anything illegal with it or distributing it, that is legal. Like I said, I just want to make a backup copy or one to stick out in the car. Thanks everyone.

blackpowder said:
Hi Everyone, I want to copy some of the kid's disney dvd's so that I can keep some of them in the car as well as in the house and also to have a copy in case they trash the originals. I have tried dvd shrink, but that will give me an error with most of the new dvd's being copy protected. Does anyone know of any software that I can try? It is legal for me to make one copy of a disk for my own use, right. I believe that as long as I am just using it as a backup and not doing anything illegal with it or distributing it, that is legal. Like I said, I just want to make a backup copy or one to stick out in the car. Thanks everyone.

It's scary when people can't read in a medium such as this one where all communication is done with text that needs to be read, ain't it?

Anyway, your best option there might be to use something like DVDFab or the still popular DVDDecrypter. ImageBurn is another highly recommended tool.

Even though you may be legally entitled to creating a backup copy of your DVDs, the issue comes from using software that decrypts the data on the disc, which is where you cross the line directly into illegal activity and I'm gonna shut up about that right now.

But, if you can copy the entire disc bit for bit - thereby negating the need to do a copy-encode process which requires the decryption - then yes you're entitled to make a backup that way. How you do it, however, is the important part and there are lots of pieces of software out there that offer that ability.

it's legal for you to copy the discs... i believe

it is however, illegal for you to decrypt, or otherwise bypass the electronic security measures...

so no, it's not legal unless the dvd is not encrypted

try a older version of dvd shrink , till u find one that works, www.oldversion.com

the copy error has only been in the more recent versions, but the older version bypass it.

btw it a nug to try it again, it such a awesome piece of software.

I'm pretty sure that the fair use ability to make one archive copy of your OWN disc has been pretty well trampled upon by the MPAA/RIAA. In fact, the very suggestion of copying a disc may land you in jail.

apHytHiaTe said:
In fact, the very suggestion of copying a disc may land you in jail.
Has there ever been a fine, never mind imprisonment, of someone copying a disc for their own use? I think a case against a 'suggested copying' is about as likely to end in jail time as President Bush and his Tonyness inviting the Supreme leader Ayatollah Khamenei and his consort Ahmadinejad around for Pancakes on Shrove Tuesday.

Try AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 (www.slysoft.com)
They are $40-50 individually, but can be purchased as a combo for less. AnyDVD is a TSR program that will detect the DVD once in the drive, and CloneDVD will copy it. Both applications are full trial versions (21days), but after ghosting my machine every 20 days for 3 months I broke down and bought both programs.... haven't had any problems backing up any of the movies in my collection. About as easy as you can get.... and updates come out on a regular basis (about once a month).

I've heard (ahem) that using DVD Decrypter to rip to your computer, using DVD Shrink to ...shrink... to DVD size, and then using DVD Decrypter (or Nero, etc) to burn again works.

Back