Copying DVDs to hard drive

vtx_

Gawd
Hey guys I was wondering what a good free program to rip your DVD's to your hard drive is? (DVDs that I own)

Mods if this isn't allowed please remove

If they're retail DVDs meaning about 99% of what most people own, believe it or not - and I'm not going to argue the point here, the facts are the facts - it's illegal to crack the CSS encryption necessary so you can make a backup. It's a massive Catch-22 situation with this issue: it's not illegal to make a backup, but it is illegal to break the encryption so that you can actually make the backup.

Setting encryption issues aside which we do not need to discuss here....

What is the best app for moving DVD's to hard drive storage. I want full quality. Storage space is not an issue. I just want to end up with a single file of the movie that can be streamed to an XBox.

your single file requirment is going to be the bane of your existence then.

What is the best app for moving DVD's to hard drive storage. I want full quality. Storage space is not an issue. I just want to end up with a single file of the movie that can be streamed to an XBox.

I use DVD Decrypter which can be found at doom9 to copy my DVDs to .iso files. I kinda doubt that you can stream an iso to the xbox, but from the iso, you can probably make an avi or somthing.

your single file requirment is going to be the bane of your existence then.

Can I get more explanation on this. I am looking into to do the same thing, full quality, sound, etc., and am not worried about space. If a single file is not possible or to much a hassle, then can a folder with a single play file be possible with all the files needed with zero compression?

look at the file structure of a DVD and you'll see why the single file requirement will cause issues: dvd's consist of multiple files. Requireing a single file will require that you either trash stuff like additional audio tracks or dvd menus and stuff, as would happen if you used AVI files, or your viewer software will have to be capable of reading into a packaged file format like ISO or ZIP, which is really just a roundabout way of making the multiple files appear as one. All self respecting video players can play dvd video files properly, and will know how to manage the dvd video as multiple files. Using that will make things easier to setup and allows you to avoid making sacrifices and trade offs.

The 'folder' is the best route, however you don't need to create any sort of 'single play file' because there already is one, provided by the makers of the original dvd.

and of course you will always have compression, its already there on the dvd, but thats a different issue, and I understand what you mean.
Can I get more explanation on this. I am looking into to do the same thing, full quality, sound, etc., and am not worried about space. If a single file is not possible or to much a hassle, then can a folder with a single play file be possible with all the files needed with zero compression?

So would using DVDshrink (or something else?) be the best option for a complete one to one copy of a DVD to a hard drive? Then just store all needed files in a folder and be done. :D
The one thing I keep running into is most programs seem to talk about compression and how well they are at this and the quality they can achieve with better compression, but I want zero of this compression so picking the correct program has me worried.

With DVDFabDecrypter you have the option of ripping only the main movie file, and the audio file of your choice (ie, DD/DTS or MP3), to your hard drive. The ripping process only takes a few minutes, and leaves a VOB file. The single file (the video-TS file) is the only file that needs to be saved; and can be played directly using the VLC media player without any further conversion. Movie playback is transparent to the DVD playback from the original disc. If you want, you can later convert to Xvid via AutoGK for transfering to a PVP.

No need to keep DVD movie discs aroung anymore. When I buy a DVD movie, I never play it from the disc or even keep it; I ripp it to my hard drive, and give the disc to a friend.

DVDs consist of multiple files because the filesystem used for storing data on them (this is in reference to CSS protected retail pressed DVD Video discs, aka "movies") doesn't allow for files over 1GB in size, much the same way that FAT32 doesn't allow for a single file over 4GB in size.

There's no way to separate the legal issues from the actual process: regardless of what someone around here thinks, using or even discussing or mentioning the software that's already been mentioned is a no-no - it doesn't matter if you own the DVDs or not.

Copying them to the hard drive is where you cross the line by the necessity of cracking the encryption so...

this is where i find and have found many great to some average video/audio tools. all shapes sizes and flavors.

Audio/Video Utils and some guides.

and the litigants and lawyers can bite me...they are my DVD's/CD's and i will make back ups. just wait until your kids use well lets say..."the Chronicles of Narnia" for an improvised "Air" Hockey game played on the hardwood floors of your living room with the remote(s) for paddles :rolleyes:

and that was only one reason :p

I typically use dvd decryptor or imgburn to decode the dvd's. once on my hdd I then use dvd shrink to select the components of the disc that I want; main movie, which audio track, and amount of compression. Then, still using dvd shrink I convert the parts I want into a .iso and store that on my home server. Last I use daemon tools on my htpc to mount the .iso from the server and play it back in Vista media center.

I know you can use dvd decryptor and imgburn to also write to .iso but I think that using dvd shrink in the mix gives a little more quality of the final .iso. Could be my imagination but its not that big of a pain to have one more step.

By 'Xbox' do you mean a 360 or an original with XBMC?

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that XBMC could stream DVD .iso's.

Violating a law against dycrypting a DVD movie (that you purchased and want a back up) is sort of like making love to your girlfriend > more pleasure than complying with the matrimony/fornication related laws.

That sounds just about right. Now, can an xbox play a vob file. I doubt it. I guess the next step will be a vob to avi converter of some sort...

With DVDFabDecrypter you have the option of ripping only the main movie file, and the audio file of your choice (ie, DD/DTS or MP3), to your hard drive. The ripping process only takes a few minutes, and leaves a VOB file. The single file (the video-TS file) is the only file that needs to be saved; and can be played directly using the VLC media player without any further conversion. Movie playback is transparent to the DVD playback from the original disc. If you want, you can later convert to Xvid via AutoGK for transfering to a PVP.

No need to keep DVD movie discs aroung anymore. When I buy a DVD movie, I never play it from the disc or even keep it; I ripp it to my hard drive, and give the disc to a friend.

If your Xbox is not a universal player (capable of playing all video and audio formats) then I advise not using it as your primary player. Get a universal DVD player with a USB input (such as the Oppo for about $150); or connect your PC to your TV display and use the VLC player. Having to convert video and audio formats is time consuming, and greatly diminishes the quality ot the video/audio playback.

Back