Copy right bull crap (please only people who know what they are talking about)

Tony Montana

[H]ard|Gawd
Lets say i draw a picture of him
Bill-Gates-08-Formal.jpg

all by hand nothing traded or anything, and them i put "Bill Gates" at the bottom then i put it up on www.zazzle.com and people buy it as a poster. Can i do that without haveing to give him money or who ever im going to draw?

Im pretty sure you dont have to give money to people if you want to put their picture, or a drawing of a picture up on your website... that would seem a little, well, STUPID?

*edit*

You could always just put "copyright 2004 - death, Microsoft"

well zazzle is not my site zazzle lets you sell your artwork. So if i drew it myself and sold it do i have to give them money ?

Unless that Photo is copyrighted... no... because it is your original work based on an online image... i can see no reason why...

Whats this mean?

" Copyright & Legal Contributions

While Zazzle's contributors are well-intentioned, understanding intellectual property issues can sometimes be confusing. As a general guideline, you can only contribute original work that you have created yourself, utilizing original elements. This means that you can't use images of celebrities, or of corporate products, nor images, text or design that you've cut from a website without written permission of the owner. You can't create a "new" image using elements from images that other people have created. And you can't contribute a quote or a slogan that is substantially the same as something already written by someone else.

For complete coverage of all copyright related information, please visit the United States Copyright Office.

If you notice a questionable image, please report it to [email protected].
"

I think if means pretty much what it says....all artwork that they allow on their site, must be original. So if draw a sweet picture of a dragonball Z character, for instance, I cant sell it there, because i didnt come up with the idea for the character, but instead copied some else's idea (intellectual property).

So unless you dreamed up all aspects, or mask the fact that you didnt pretty well, i think they will bitch...

Originally posted by Bennyb
Unless that Photo is copyrighted... no... because it is your original work based on an online image... i can see no reason why...

artwork is copyrighted on the nature of existance, photos argueably fall under artwork.

if its your drawing its your drawing..

I have worked in Photolabs and studios, and dealt with this issue on many cases.

You cannot, without the permission of that photographer, make any copy of that picture. You will need to contact the photographer, and obtain the original media that the picture was taken on (i.e. Negatives, Media card or backup or said card). Once you own the negative of a picture, you can then reproduce it for anything you want. If the photographer, sold the negatives to Billy. Then you will have to contact Billy there, to get permission.

Just follow what they taught me in my collegiate art classes... Follow the "20%" rule.

If you change the image by at least 20%, you're safe.

Therefore, if you change the background, his suit color, and tie, you're safe. You're not allowed an EXACT replica of another piece of art but you ARE allowed to use it as "inspiration" as long as there are major differences between the original image and your artwork.

But not to put it on Zazzle since obviously they have their own personal rules limiting you from posting artwork of celebrities.

if you only want the shirt for yourself, get someone that knows how to silk screen or get some iron ons.

Back