Copy program

shftup

Limp Gawd
I am looking for a free program that copies files that preserves the file/folder creation dates.

thoughts?

What OS? rsync -t -E should.
XXCopy should on windows.

If you are on vista or higher I think robocopy will do this with the proper switches
robocopy /e /dcopy:t source destination

I have a WHS and a couple of Win 7 machines...I will check the above out.

Also, I prefer a GUI vs. command line if possible.

Thanks

I was planning on starting this same thread. I need to replicate all of my shares from my main array to my backup array and the RichCopy tool looks absolutely perfect. It even deletes file that don't exist in the source and it's free. Thanks!

-Brian

I use RichCopy to sync a workstation that adds a few GB of medical image data daily across a 1 MBit link. This works pretty good for this although I may try to get a windows port of rsync working in the future so that the determination of what changed will be much faster.

Richcopy is very handy.

rmd3003 - thank you very much. This is perfect for my needs.

I did test xxcopy, teracopy, and fastcopy aswell, but Richcopy is for me.

Thanks

robocopy is a handy utility built into the OS and it is versatile enough that you don't need to install 3rd party software to sync data between drives. I would simply create a small batch file once I had tested that the switches worked as advertised and run with that.

Teracopy is nice. Might be worth looking into, and integrates into the Windows shell.

Is there any software that can copy a spesific file listed in text file and it works on Windows 7?

I need that software because I often copy a lot of recording HD video file ( 8 GB perfile) to other hardisk.

Is there any software that can copy a spesific file listed in text file and it works on Windows 7?
If you know the specific file you need to copy you could create a batch file to do this with many of the mentioned products..

http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy25.htm

After you figure out the command line just put the exact command you would type on the command line in a file and give it a .bat extension.

This is just one example. I know robocopy and several of the others support passing arguments via the command line as well.

http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy25.htm

After you figure out the command line just put the exact command you would type on the command line in a file and give it a .bat extension.

This is just one example. I know robocopy and several of the others support passing arguments via the command line as well.

so I must make bat script to read my list file (format in .txt) that I want to copy, after read the list, the script will copy file to destination folder or hdd....

Is that true? and can you help me the script, I dont understand about scripting :D :D

Thankyou

Try a for loop like this in the batch file:

Code:
FOR /F "usebackq delims==" %%i IN (c:\users\jdrescher\test.txt) DO @ECHO %%i

You will have to change the path to test.txt.

Then open up a command prompt to test. The echo command will just print your txt file 1 line at a time.

Then you will have to modify ECHO %%i to execute your copy program. You can just use copy %%i somenewfolder if you are putting the files in some different folder.

Last edited:
Back