Copy: DropBox Killer?

im_electronic

Limp Gawd
https://copy.com

5 Gigs free, seem like a nicer interface, and easier access to share data, what are your thoughts?

referral link removed - odoe

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts are that it's not very polite to post referral links, unless you clearly state what you're doing and give reasons beforehand.

Sorry, two birds with one stone,.

Copy is from Barracuda networks, seems like a better setup to me, a network appliance and security company coming into data storage, as long as it is not a proof of concept, then I think it will last.

https://www.copy.com/about/tos
Copy TOS said:
When you use the Product, you agree that Copy may duplicate and store your data, information, files and folders in accordance with Copy’s policies and these Terms. As between You and Copy, all information You provide to Copy remains your property.

We may also need to share your data, information, files and folders with third parties who assist us in providing the service. You hereby consent to such sharing. In addition, Copy may contain links to third party websites or resources. Your use of the third party materials is governed by their terms and not this Agreement. We are not responsible for or endorse these third parties.

https://www.dropbox.com/privacy#terms
Dropbox TOS said:
By using our Services you provide us with information, files, and folders that you submit to Dropbox (together, “your stuff”). You retain full ownership to your stuff. We don’t claim any ownership to any of it. These Terms do not grant us any rights to your stuff or intellectual property except for the limited rights that are needed to run the Services, as explained below.

We may need your permission to do things you ask us to do with your stuff, for example, hosting your files, or sharing them at your direction. This includes product features visible to you, for example, image thumbnails or document previews. It also includes design choices we make to technically administer our Services, for example, how we redundantly backup data to keep it safe. You give us the permissions we need to do those things solely to provide the Services. This permission also extends to trusted third parties we work with to provide the Services, for example Amazon, which provides our storage space (again, only to provide the Services).

To be clear, aside from the rare exceptions we identify in our Privacy Policy, no matter how the Services change, we won’t share your content with others, including law enforcement, for any purpose unless you direct us to. How we collect and use your information generally is also explained in our Privacy Policy.

"Dropbox killer"? I don't think so. :cool:
Dropbox is one of the few hosting services that does not try to do whatever they want with your files. The only other one I know of who's like this (IIRC) is Skydrive. Google Drive is like Copy....they want to be able to do whatever they want, whenever they want, with your files.
Copyright anything aside, I don't like people rooting around in my files, just like I wouldn't want someone rooting around in my house.

Dropbox is one of the few hosting services that does not try to do whatever they want with your files. The only other one I know of who's like this (IIRC) is Skydrive. Google Drive is like Copy....they want to be able to do whatever they want, whenever they want, with your files.
Copyright anything aside, I don't like people rooting around in my files, just like I wouldn't want someone rooting around in my house.
To be fair, Dropbox employees can access your data if they deem they have sufficient reason to do so, and if you dare use SkyDrive to send your sister a picture of your kids playing in the bath, or a snapshot of a Botticelli nude you took at the British Museum, you risk having your entire account deleted by Microsoft.

If you have any concern at all for privacy, you should really use client-side encryption for your cloud data - Spideroak and Wuala do it natively, or you could use something like BoxCryptor or Cloudfogger with Dropbox/SkyDrive/Google Drive/whatever.

zero2dash, I see nothing in the terms of use saying that copy is claiming ownership over your files or will be using them against your will. Saying that they will copy or share your files may mean backups, or may mean copy to a new location if their storage provider changes.

Back