coppermine Pentium 3's can take ALOT of abuse (service call i made today)

Ziggy!talon

Limp Gawd
so i went to a service call for a customer who said his machine was randomly rebooting, and i had built the machine for said customer and i knew it had sufficient anti-virus/anti-spyware software on it, so i figured it was probably something heat related. His PC is pretty old, it's running a 933mhz/133fsb Pentium 3E coppermine core, so i get there, and run a few stress tests, it makes it through super pi 1M, but then reboots halfway through the 2M test.... so i download Speedfan, and to my surprise the board actually has temp sensors... and get this, the CPU was showing 103C, at first i thought it was just a bogus reading, so i ran superpi again while watching speedfan, and sure enough, under load the chip went all the way to 130C, i was astounded, i cant believe the chip had been running like this for probably the last week or so... so i open up the case and bam there it is, CPU fan not spinning... i took a closer look and it looks like the red wire from the 3 pin fan connector had come disconnected from the place it connects to the fan.... so i came home and dug through my PC parts pile and found a pretty sturdy looking HS/FAN that i guess i used in a system long ago, cleand it up with alcohol, and went over with some 1000 grit sand paper to give it a nice mirror finish, and tommorow im going back over there to install it with a little AS5, temps should be fine then :)

i still for the life of me cant believe the chip survived 130C, the heatsink was so hot it could burn you.

You should have kept it the way it was and then just told him to start cooking on it

pretty cool...haha no pun intended...my e6300 shitted itself after only a few minutes at 90c

those coppermines are still pretty decent chips for web browsing/office apps/etc, i think the machine i built for my sister has a 733mhz/133fsb coppermine in it, and like 512mb PC133 memory, and it's pretty quick, does everything she needs it to just fine..and actually multi-tasks pretty decently despite only having 512 megs of ram....

i think i have like 3 of those coppermines laying around in my parts pile... a couple 733's, and a couple of 800/100 cellerons (which are way slower then there P3 counterpart) there crippled by only 128KB of cache, while i believe the coppermines have either 256kb or 512kb, no no, i think it's just 256kb, but that extra cache and the quicker FSB makes a world of difference...

i also have a thoroughbred 2400+ in a machine in the house that i did the pencil trick to to enable the extra 256kb of L2....sweet little mod, it runs at 2.25GHz too all FSB in a ECS K7S5A (great overclocking board of those days) according to sandra it performs about on par with a barton 3200+

wow 90C, what happened, did your cooling setup fail or something?

i ignored that the orientation of this zerotherm cooler actually mattered and i went into the bios to set my stuff and i saw the cpu temp way up and it just hasnt been too stable since that sad day. oh well

i ignored that the orientation of this zerotherm cooler actually mattered and i went into the bios to set my stuff and i saw the cpu temp way up and it just hasnt been too stable since that sad day. oh well

:( sorry to hear that, maybe it's not to late to RMA the chip?

oh and turns out my sisters machine is a coppermine 733/133 P3 EB, but it's crippled by PC100 mem so it's only running at 550mhz :( its still surprisingly quick for what it is....

brandismachine.jpg

I miss my Dimension 4100 and it's PIII 1.13 all the sudden :( That was a little monster back in 2001 with it's demonicly fast PIII :) With the GF2 GTS in my 4100 I pwnt noobies on RA2 thru Generals with 0 issues ;)

VIVA LA PIII !!!

It'll be 10 years April 12 since my Dell DImension xps-r400 P2 400mhz, 128MB PC-100, 10GB 7200RPM IBM Deskstar, Turtlebeach Montego 2 Sound, PCI Hardware DVD Decoder card, 16MB STB TNT Velocity 4400 video, Windows 98 SE. Those were the days. Had the best computer in the neighborhood

It'll be 10 years April 12 since my Dell DImension xps-r400 P2 400mhz, 128MB PC-100, 10GB 7200RPM IBM Deskstar, Turtlebeach Montego 2 Sound, PCI Hardware DVD Decoder card, 16MB STB TNT Velocity 4400 video, Windows 98 SE. Those were the days. Had the best computer in the neighborhood

nice :)

i still have a TNT2M64 32MB AGP card running in my wifey's machine, is running a Willamette P4 1.4GHz/512MB DDR2700/80GB hard drive...runs win2k pro sp4

The PIII's legacy is still going on, of course - the Core 2 architecture owes more to the Pentium M than the P4/Netburst, and the Pentium M is a developed mobile version of the PIII. The PIII lineage goes back to the Pentium Pro.

P!!! > P4 any day.

That is damn hot though. I never had mine over 120*F, with a 40% OC!

Only cpu I ever toasted was a oc'ed PIIIe 700 mhz @ 1.1 ghz. I put seti on it. threw it in the corner and forgot about it. Went to go check it one day and thought the video card was bad. Artifacts every where. Rebooted and it never came back. Opened it up and the fan had locked up on it. Took the HS off and found the slug cracked from one corner to the other.

my workplace rig is running on a PIII 467MHz processor ....just opening gmail takes it to 100% load

lolz...I still own use one of those old machines I built myself...ripped out the original IBM eServer Xseries 100 Pentium 3 mobo after 4 4700uf Capacitors blew up....chucked in a Ali Aladdin Pro TNT2 mobo along with a lapped 20 cm HSF and lapped P3 Coppermine Core 1GHZ CPU, integrated 32MB Nvidia TNT2 Pro and a 84 GB HDD, 1GB PC133 RAM and running XP Pro SP2 very very finely!!

BTW.....my Core 2 Duo E6700 died 3 weeks ago after a 153'C furnace overclock with no cooling applied for a couple of seconds whatsoever!!!!

ten years ago was my dual P2-350 with onboard scsi and a 9GB IBM 10K drive. Man those things were beasts in their day. 32MB AGP TNT2 card... Played quake2 day and night. I miss that computer!

Wow, that's a 180nm chip? Doesn't seem all that old - and we're already at 45nm - 1/4 the size in only what, like 6 years?

Wow, that's a 180nm chip? Doesn't seem all that old - and we're already at 45nm - 1/4 the size in only what, like 6 years?

yep, coppermines were 180nm and ran on 2.0V.... im sure they pull way less amps than the chips out today, but it's amazing how far we've come in that short of a time...

even the slot P3's ran on the 180nm process too.... here's a screeny of my fileserver, dual katmai 600/100/512 P3's...

katmai.jpg

Agreed, there still badass chips. Gentoo and Apache runs extremely well on my old Gateway P3 800

Good point.

Back then, they called it 18um - microns, before nano-.

Good point.

Back then, they called it 18um - microns, before nano-.

that dual P3 machine @ 600/100/512 feels about equal in speed to my sisters machine...the other screenshot in the thread the coppermine @ 650/133/256

Hey it was the only way for my dad to get me a Q6700!!!:p:p

That's a pretty dickish thing to do. You shouldn't feel proud of yourself. Honestly, I'm surprised your dad let you anywhere near another CPU considering how hard it is to actually kill a modern Intel chip.

lol great timing I'm building up a duel 800 p3 machine right now for my brother.
For what he uses it for it is plenty fast with 1GB of ram.
It is actually faster than my current computer(800 Duron).
Even with XP properly set up they are fast enough for pretty much anything but games.
I get a kick out of people underestimating these machines.
And yea I'm cheap and use my computers till they are all used up, I still have a p75 in 24/7 use as my router.

That's a pretty dickish thing to do. You shouldn't feel proud of yourself. Honestly, I'm surprised your dad let you anywhere near another CPU considering how hard it is to actually kill a modern Intel chip.

Nevermind, its a long story...it wasn't my dad who bought it...wrong person!!...a friend got one for me for free...so never mind........you wouldn't be saying those words if you now know what actaully happened!!

BTW....my dad wasn't involved....its just times when you got people talking to you..and your typing or wrting at the same time...you end up writing some words others are talking to you about.....happens all the time!!! lolz.......so yyeah

And to your "considering how hard it is to actually kill a modern Intel chip"
It is not hard to kill any thing...!!!! Its alwayz very easy!!!!

yep, coppermines were 180nm and ran on 2.0V.... im sure they pull way less amps than the chips out today, but it's amazing how far we've come in that short of a time...

even the slot P3's ran on the 180nm process too.... here's a screeny of my fileserver, dual katmai 600/100/512 P3's...

katmai.jpg

Holly Macaral....!!! How big is your screen???? 24 or 26"????

And yea I'm cheap and use my computers till they are all used up, I still have a p75 in 24/7 use as my router.

How many watts does that p75 machine pull?

55323896mw3.png

Here's my current computer.

512mb ram @ 133 mhz.
Ati Radeon 9250 =p

Have had it for the past four years and am finally gonna update on June 15th.

Holly Macaral....!!! How big is your screen???? 24 or 26"????

oh no, i wish.... it's 2 19" 4:3's side by side, movies look great on it though spanned across both displays.... and 1080p well 1024...so give or take it's 1080P

that res is 2560x1024.... the only complaint is the bar in the middle, but you get used to it after a while, i dont even notice it anymore....i use NVidia's NVIEW to span overlay stuff (like DVD's, hardware acceleration divx, etc) across both screens..

you should throw win2k sp4 on it instead, i run win2k on all my P3 machines, it runs much faster...oh and when you upgrade you interesting in getting rid of that P3 EB, i'll pay shipping and whatever you want for it, i need it for a PC i have that needs a better chip, it's got a coppermine cellery...and those are dog slow..

55323896mw3.png

Here's my current computer.

512mb ram @ 133 mhz.
Ati Radeon 9250 =p

Have had it for the past four years and am finally gonna update on June 15th.

Back