Copper Plating a Case Chassis

nosml

n00b
I have a project that I am currently thinking about doing, but I want to know if one of my ideas is possible. Can I have the chassis of my case copper plated? What is a ballpark price for something like this to be done? I searched the forums already and there is a lot of talk about chrome plating but very little on copper. From my research, I believe it can be done. I would just like verification and any addition information.

Maybe I should clarify, I don't want to plate the chassis myself. I will have some else do it, but before I go asking around for prices, I just want to know if it can be done.

BoySetsFire said:
most shops that do chroming for car/motorcyce parts can also do copper plating

I figured as much. Thanks for responses. Now, to call around and get some prices. Does anybody have a general idea about how much it may cost? Either way, watch out for my project, I am very excited.

nosml said:
I have a project that I am currently thinking about doing, but I want to know if one of my ideas is possible. Can I have the chassis of my case copper plated? What is a ballpark price for something like this to be done? I searched the forums already and there is a lot of talk about chrome plating but very little on copper. From my research, I believe it can be done. I would just like verification and any addition information.
It's a nice concept, but are you going to use those panels as heatsinks?
Or is it just for fun.

I'm wondering.

Grtz

I remember reading about somebody doing this and how he fried his whole system by doing so, too lazy to try and find it though. Maybe he did something a little different than what you have in mind.

metal is metal, chief. copper plating won't make it any more dangerous than leaving the case bare bones stock , and it won't fry his system.

i would reccomend a clear coat if you do copper plate though, lest you have a chunk of the statue of liberty in you box(ie green and oxidized.)

refer to the episode of American Chopper where they took actual pieces of said statue(scraps from when it was restored) and coated most of the parts of a chopper, then clear-coated it to keep the nice reflective copper color.

Lite_User said:
It's a nice concept, but are you going to use those panels as heatsinks?
Or is it just for fun.

I'm wondering.

Grtz
It's not for heatsinks, I just want the chassis done, not the panels. It’s for the theme on my build. I will post details of the project in a worklog. It's only in planning now, but when I'm reading I will post a thread. The only issue is when, I know this is planned as a summer project, I don't know if I should make it a work in progress because I would hate to disappoint. I have high aspiration for this computer and being my first major modification project—this may not end well.

I figure it will go well if I plan, plan, plan.

As for copper plating look up the word "verdigris" look at the old copper bronze statues that are all green and ugly.......Pass

Just go for it :D
Remember to give the copper frame a coating.(spray-can from hard-warestore)
Don't be fooled, it will oxcidize. :(

Grtz

Lt. Dan said:
As for copper plating look up the word "verdigris" look at the old copper bronze statues that are all green and ugly.......Pass
if it is sealed properly with a good clear-coat, it will not turn green.

that verdigis occurs when water is present.......
anyway, it might actually look quite cool!
however painting something in copper, expensive???
f

I have about a half mile of copper piping running through my offices and labs, they dont seam to be turning green, and I cut and reroute them often so I can see inside, also not green. Those statues are exposed to the elements for 2-50 years what do you expect, I wouldnt worry about a computer case that will most likely be replaced or junked after just a few.

Aslong as the copper isn't exposed to water and air, it won't oxidize.
It's like; expose some iron to water and air, and it will be rusted away in a few years.
But lay it IN some water and it will last much longer.Something similar happens with copper.
Copper will turn blackish, so you'll have to polish it, then spray-coat,no worries.

Grtz

Back