• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Copper Block + Aluminum Radiator = Possible?

Diazo

n00b
Joined
Jul 28, 2004
Messages
12
Hello all.

I'm putting together my first watercooling system, and from reading around the 'net, I'm reasonably confident in proceeding. However, there are two question I seem to be unable to find straight answers too.

First off, a friend of mine who works in a radiator shop got me a real nice radiator to use for free. The only thing being that the radiator is aluminum. My question how would I go about using a copper block with an aluminum radiator? (Or is it even realisticly possible?)

From what I've read, it seems that using the red/pink anti freeze or some water wetter is the usual guard against corrosion, however I am looking for something more robust as with this setup I will get corrosion unless I take steps to protect against it, unlike the more typical system where the anti-corrosion additive seems to be more of a precautionary measure. Or would the pink anti-freeze be strong enough to protect against corrosion? Assuming I flush/refill with fresh every 4-6 months or so.

This thread is where I get a lot of this from:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=769085&highlight=aluminum


I also have a secondary question to do with filling/bleeding a system.
After filling a system and getting it full, I expect that there will be a slight amount of air left in the system. In reading different places, I have seen it implied, but never said outright, that if I make a T at the highest point of my loop, with an uncapped line open to air going straight up, the system will empty itself of this left over air by itself. The theory of this being that the excess air will escape up the open tube of the T while the coolant alone goes through the T and back into the loop. I was wondering if someone could confirm this for me or correct me if I've gotten the wrong impression.

Thanks for any and all answers you can give me.

Diazo
 
Not sure if this will completely solve your problem but is definetly worth reading.
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1153/

Normally I am completely against using anti-freeze, but I understand how important corrosion is in your situation.

As for the T-line for bleeding; yes it will bleed the system, but from what I hear it takes quite a while when compared to a reservoir.
 
Yes, thats exactly what T-Lines do. And the DO take forever to bleed your system with. A reservoir would be much faster. I like my T-Line better though, because it doesn't take up much room in my case. :)
 
Alright.

Looks like I'm on the right path then.

I'm gonna go with the pink engine coolant then. Sounds like it's strong enough to stop the corrosion, assuming I refill the system with new every 6 months or so.

Diazo
 
Diazo said:
Alright.

Looks like I'm on the right path then.

I'm gonna go with the pink engine coolant then. Sounds like it's strong enough to stop the corrosion, assuming I refill the system with new every 6 months or so.

Diazo


If you are speaking in reference to water wetter...myself Id say dont go with it.
I used the stuff with Tygon and the stuff managed to impregnate the tygon and made my entire case smell like water wetter...which stinks. I replaced everything and this time im running the zerex racing fluid...and its much better
 
Not talking about water wetter.

I'm pretty sure there's some Toyota brand pink/red engine coolant in the garage which I'm planning to use. Although I haven't checked what's in it yet, I might end up going down to the local Canadian Tire and getting another brand.

And I'm pretty sure the Toyota stuff is a more generic version of the Zerex racing fluid you're talking about. (Not 100% sure though.)

Diazo

Edit: spelling.....
 
Back
Top