CoolMaster HAF 932 vs. CM Storm Scout

NathanP2007

[H]ard|Gawd
So im looking to buy a new case ... i have heard GREAT things about the HAF932 and it sounds perfect. The only con is its HUGE. In my whole room theres only one POSSIBLE iffy spot i could even put it.

So my question is, the Cool Master Storm Scout...is it just as good? The reviews buyers give it are 5 stars....and over all it has just about all the same spots for fans.
What i love about the HAF most is the air flow..its praised for its air flow..and i really dont like when my equipment gets hot. So hows the Storm Scout stack up? Is it just its little brother thats just as good?

Thanks guys

HAF- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160&Tpk=CoolerMaster HAF 932

Scout- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196

interested to see the answers here.....I need a case, and I am thinking of the 932

I actually like that it, the 932, is big. Lotsa room to work inside there, and upgrade..

al

Only thing I don't like about the HAF 932 is the el-cheapo drive trays. Those things are just shitty. Seems like the entire line of Coolermaster cases are going to that design too. :(

surfbug- i agree i like its size for those reasons too, but i just dont have anywhere (except one possible spot) to put such a huge case.

Only thing I don't like about the HAF 932 is the el-cheapo drive trays. Those things are just shitty. Seems like the entire line of Coolermaster cases are going to that design too. :(

so, just askin, what other type of case might be good?

oh, and OP, the scout is only 3 inches shorter....and I have to say it looks cooler too!

I like the carry handle....

how bad could the drive trays be in the coolermaster product line?

al

so, just askin, what other type of case might be good?

oh, and OP, the scout is only 3 inches shorter....and I have to say it looks cooler too!

I like the carry handle....

how bad could the drive trays be in the coolermaster product line?

al

The 3.5" drive trays in all the newest Coolermaster cases suck. They are flimsy as hell. I looked at several of them today. I'm a big fan of Lian-Li and Silverstone cases as a general rule. The only down side is their cost.

The 3.5" drive trays in all the newest Coolermaster cases suck. They are flimsy as hell. I looked at several of them today. I'm a big fan of Lian-Li and Silverstone cases as a general rule. The only down side is their cost.

I dont see how they are flimsy, did you actually use them?

I use them and they are fine. Take them out, put your hard drive on, you can screw them on if you want and slide it back in. No problems for me I like them.

I dont see how they are flimsy, did you actually use them?

I use them and they are fine. Take them out, put your hard drive on, you can screw them on if you want and slide it back in. No problems for me I like them.

I physically handled the drive trays in more than one case (and model of case) and in each of them they've seemed very, flimsy and cheap. I'm sure they work well, but they just seemed like a shitty solution to me. Just my opinion. I'm harder to impress or please than most people I guess.

But did you handle them with a drive in them? From what I have heard, once the drive is in them and you slide it in place, its a very good system.

But did you handle them with a drive in them? From what I have heard, once the drive is in them and you slide it in place, its a very good system.

This may be true, but I've seen drive trays and cages that appear to be (at least on the surface) far better solutions. As long as Coolermaster continues to use this system I won't buy anymore of their cases. I just don't like it.

For what it's worth I just got a CM Sniper and it's the best case I've ever owned.
The hard drive cages are flimsy on their own, but once the HDD is in them they're very sturdy.

I think you should consider a Sniper case, I really think it's the best case for the money.

I just got back from Fry's, Because I am about to buy a case and I wanted to see them firsthand before I order from the Egg. I took a long look at the HAFs drivetrays based on what you said, I can see how you say what you say, but honestly, I really think the trays are nice. Of course, the SIlverstone case right next to it had almost identical trays, which were 3X more sturdy, but I honestly dont see any issues with the CM trays. I REALLY like the kinda lever locking aspect of it.

+1 for the sniper although i am really digging the scout. and i was wondering if anyone has anything to say about the scout such as roominess and build quality.

My scout has about the same GPU clearance as an Antec 900. My GTX 260 fits just right and tight. Cooler Master really wanted to build a chassis around the same size as an Antec 902. I love the black interiors of my Scout though, its very well done.

So right now its kind of unfair to compare the HAF 932 to the Scout since the HAF 932 is designed as a tuners case to pretty much stay in one place, and the Scout is designed as a lanparty case to take places.

If the HAF 932 is too big, but you want a roomy case I would suggest the Storm Sniper which has great features, or the HAF 922 "mini" which is similar to the HAF 932 but smaller. The Sniper has a built in fan controller, more spacious interior and steel handles, while the HAF 922 has a more traditional airflow, better styling and different cable management.

Links:
Storm Sniper $159.99
HAF 922 $129.99:D

I just got back from Fry's, Because I am about to buy a case and I wanted to see them firsthand before I order from the Egg. I took a long look at the HAFs drivetrays based on what you said, I can see how you say what you say, but honestly, I really think the trays are nice. Of course, the SIlverstone case right next to it had almost identical trays, which were 3X more sturdy, but I honestly dont see any issues with the CM trays. I REALLY like the kinda lever locking aspect of it.

I just don't think they are a very good solution.

I do not know, but after some looking I am getting the Cooler Master Store Scout I believe. It will not be for a couple of weeks yet, but I will be sure to share my build and thoughts when I do. I do not plan on taking it anywhere, but I like the design. I do not care for the toolless card slots, but they include screws too I see from reviews so I'll be using those instead for my video card at least.

I really wish there were more cases with black interior, it looks so much nicer to me.

The Scout is a very nice case, but you will have a few issues.

1. There is not much clearance between the back of the motherboard mounting area and that side of the case. As a result, there is just not a lot of room to tuck or hide cables. It took a bit of persuasion to get that case door on after I had finished tucking cables.

2. The rear I/O slots are made from a cheap and somewhat brittle plastic, and even though I have not, I could see someone with larger fingers having trouble with or snapping them. However, they do work and are currently securely holding my 4980 in place with no problems.

3. Not enough clearance between top of Xigamatek Dark Knight and side panel to mount a 120mm fan in the top slot on the case door. Not a big deal, MAYBE a much smaller profile fan could possibly fit. I just ended up covering the empty area with a filter. Although there is plenty of clearance between my 4890 and the lower fan mounting position for the 120mm fan there.

Despite these shortcomings, this case is near perfect. I looked at a number of other cases in person at my local MC before deciding what route to go. Every full tower just looked way too big and I had no idea where I would be able to put it in my room. But for a mid tower solution, I think it does very well against its competition especially at about a $100. I did put some more money into the case though with things like a Scythe Kama 5.25" bay cooler and the 2 extra fans/filters, but they were well worth it. The Scythe Kama, Xigamatek DK and the rear 120mm exhaust all line up perfectly to keep a constant flow of air moving across the CPU. I have been planning to post some pics, but just have not gotten around to it yet.

Just to add about the 922, it features the ability to turn of the front LED. Just like the Sniper.

Back