• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CoolIT Freezone Liquid Chill CPU Cooler!

I'm defintely gonna keep my eye on it. How efficient do you think it is? What about power consumption due to the TEC? From the review it seemed decent, however, a high end water cooling system is around $250-300, how much different do you expect the results to be? The review only tested it against a koolance system :-/

Another thing to keep in mind is the modability. I noticed it only has 1/4\' tubing, whereas I've heard you need 1/2" for best performance. I wonder if it's easy to mod . . .

Finally, a 120mm fan would have been nicer :)
 
Whoa... this does look nice! very nice... wow... I could use this for my cpu and then keep the rest of my loop for the video cards... hmmmmmmmm... :)

I can't see one for sale anywhere, other than it's homepage where it's sold out.
doh! it's not for the faint of wallet either.. but seems like a kick-ass product. :D

PS: with the chiller part, it should not need a bigger fan.. it's cooling the "glycol solution" (coolant) with the thermoelectric process more than anything.. then the fan cools the back of the peltier.. I reckon. :) which also means I doubt it needs bigger tubing either.. but anyways... I will be keeping my "I" on this one also. :)
 
am i the only one that actually read the damn review? 45 C load on an overclocked sandiego. this thing performs somewhat worse than good watercooling.

this isn't the first stupid and pointless TEC product that i have seen people get excited over. i only wish that it was going to be the last.

that was a really crappy review of a crappy product. just because it's expensive doesn't mean that it's good.
 
revenant said:
PS: with the chiller part, it should not need a bigger fan.. it's cooling the water with the thermoelectric process more than anything.. then the fan cools the back of the peltier.. I reckon. :)
dude.......when you are cooling the hot side of a pelt, you are dealing with all of the heat that the pelt is pumping in addition to a large amount of waste heat from the pelt itself. adding a pelt into the equation means that you need a whole lot more cooling, not less.
 
jcll2002 said:
QFT... i bet if they had those in retail stores kids would buy them 24/7
i made a beverage chilled with a damaged 80 watt pelt a while back.......it was good for shits and giggles, but a pelt bevy chiller isn't all that usefull. the biggest problem is getting reasonable heat exchange between the can/bottle and the pelt. the bottom just isn't enough to do anything. i used a chilled salt water bath for mine.
 
hrm..... I guess I was looking at the socket 478 numbers.. with the 27c load temp. lol.

I am not convinced that it sucks irregardless of that review.. it looks like it could have some very good potential.. using peltiers to cool the coolant... anyways... Hexus has a snipette of a larger apparatus with gpu cooling and cpu cooling..

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4409

anyways.. it might not be that great after all, but seems like a good concept to me. I guess we'll have to see what real world numbers come in when more peeps get ahold of them. :)
 
DFI Daishi said:
dude.......when you are cooling the hot side of a pelt, you are dealing with all of the heat that the pelt is pumping in addition to a large amount of waste heat from the pelt itself. adding a pelt into the equation means that you need a whole lot more cooling, not less.

dude...... well, ok, yes, it would have to deal with all the heat, pelt included, so I guess more air, or the ability to get more would be a good idea.. anyways.....

PS: 120mm fans aren't always better, unless you get powerful ones.. they spread the air flow over a larger area, and have a larger dead air section in the middle.. I swapped all my 120s out for 80s for my extra video card cooling because of that.. gah! ok - back to work.
 
well shit.....if what you care about is how a product cools things with very little heat load, then i bet you'd be as impressed as hell if i posted a review of my own cooling solution, using the internal diode numbers that my little venice reports.........as it is, i get 18 C load and overclocked.

this thing sucks and will always suck. it runs off of the computer's PSU, and doesn't draw a whole lot of juice even then. they simply don't have enough peltier power in there to do anything usefull. it's a flawed design from start to finish, aimed at bilking suckers like you.

i'm reminded of another member a while back. he picked up a pelt-heatsink combo with a control module that ran off of the computer's PSU. he was really happy and insisted that it was great because he was getting like 50C load temps while overclocked. he paid several hundred dollars for his solution as well. no matter what anyone said, he insisted that it was a great solution. it worked worse than a good air cooler, cost him an arm and a leg and he didn't want to face facts: he was happy with it. will you buy this thing and make a similar thread a few months down the road?

anyone who is dumb enough to actually buy this product deserves what they get. i hope that at least some people will read this thread and take heed. to make peltier work on a modern CPU, you need in excess of 200 watts of input power. any pelt solution for CPU that runs off of a computer PSU doesn't get that kind of power. anything that runs off of a computer PSU isn't going to do better than high end air, and usualy worse than high end water.
 
revenant said:
PS: 120mm fans aren't always better, unless you get powerful ones.. they spread the air flow over a larger area, and have a larger dead air section in the middle.. I swapped all my 120s out for 80s for my extra video card cooling because of that.. gah! ok - back to work.
spreading a given amount of airflow over a larger area results in improved fan performance as a result of reduced back pressure. the fan is able to move more air as a result of it being able to maintain closer to it's spec'd revolutions and optimal flow conditions. shrouds deal with the larger dead spot in the center of the fan more effectively than moving to a smaller fan does.
 
you just have to shoot everyone down with your large cranium, dontcha...ok, it's all good... even with a shrowd there can be a large dead spot with 120mm fan.. dep on the application... that's all I was saying..

also, 45c load temps on a 3700 with 1.66 vcore at 3ghz is not too bad imo.. but that idle temp of 42c bothers me... anyways... you, knowing well more about thermoelectric cooling than, I, or prolly most of the people here, are probably mostly right about this... being that, in your experience running the pelts of the systems psu is bad, and I now remember all the pelts I have seen had their own power, so that seems like a large problem right off the bat.. anyways, ok, so maybe it does suck.. who knows... oh wait, you know.. that's right. ;) and it will always suck.... suck suck suck!!!!! lol
 
revenant said:
you just have to shoot everyone down with your large cranium, dontcha.
the cranium doesn't have to be large, just hard as rock.

take a look at the wattages of pelt solutions that enthusiasts have built and and the results that they yield and it should be pretty clear what kind of power it takes, even if you don't particularly feel like taking my word.

the reason that few people do pelt cooling is that it is inefficient and expensive, with a relatively high risks of condensation formation and pretty flimsy protection from condensation and the potential for catastrophic failure.

maybe i shouldn't come down so hard on you guys, but i have seen plenty of products like this. as far as i'm concerned, they are obviously snake oil, and one look at the specs and numbers should convince most people of that. the product then goes on to get positive reviews, forum members say it looks really promising, and some people actually buy it.

things that sound too good to be true usually are: if cooling sub-ambient was cheap, easy and risk free a whole lot of people would already be doing it. as it remains a niche market in the niche market of high performance computing.......products that make claims like this one does should be viewed with the greatest of skepticisim, but seldom are.
 
I read that review... I got the part where he said something along the lines of :

"It has protective springs around the outside of the tubing that make it look powerful."


First of all the springs have nothing to do with protecting the tubing, they allow for a tighter bend radius without kinking, just like coolsleeves. Secondly "Wh000 it looks like it cools well".

It was obvious that this reviewer had hardly the slightest clue about testing watercooling systems, and probably knew even less about TEC's.
 
ya - it's a pretty flimsy review..

Dashi - it's all good, mang. I know you're just doing what you think is good and right with your knowledge of cooling ( in general ) and not wanting peeps to buy into "snake oil" type things... keepin it real. the more I mull this over the more flimsy it seems... just too easy to be good, in (very) general.. being that it's so expensive it's good to warn peeps... because some people do assume that means it's really good also.. I was one of them a while back.. I still catch myself ranking things by price sometimes. lol. anyways....... I guess I got excited because I have been pretty bored with all the watercooling stuff which is out now.. been looking for something fun to check up on.. *sigh*

PS: er, yeah, [H]ard! quite! ;)
 
so this is the "Secret Liquid Chiller" that Voodoo PC used for their earlier highend system in 2003. Maximum PC used it on their Dream Machine 2003, but used a long column like "heat exchanger" to cool 4 components.

ill wait for a good review to come out before i judge this "better than any liquid cooling" mini system.
 
In fairness to the CoolIT system, I've seen worse. Not too many thought...

That extrememhz site is a joke. It took about 10 clicks to get rid of all the crap that they pop up. Then all you get is a comparison between a $$$ cooler and a free one. If you're gonna something that expensive at least compare it to an XP-120 or something :rolleyes:
 
I'm waiting for other reviews than the extrememhz one, read this quote taken from the review...

ExtremeMhz said:
There is a potentiometer in the upper center part of the included PCB Thermal Control Module labeled RV1. ...snip... Now, at first, I was accidentally turning it the wrong direction. This is because of the way I had positioned the control module on the case. Just make sure the CoolIT name is on the upper left hand corner of the PCB.

:rolleyes:

Even if the CoolIt name were in the lower right corner of the pcb he would still have to turn the potentiometer the same way around... :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top