CoolIT Freezone Chilled Liquid CPU Cooler

The 33 is a idle temp right? Ambient temps? Voltage?

That with coretemp?

Screenshots!

haha, I find it hard to believe your loading at a temperature about 10'c lower than my idle... I'm also on water at 3.5ghz.

ask and you shall receive, here is the screenshot, it took a while because I didn't have a way to upload the picture so I used my free time warner web space, here you go, it's running at 3.98 idles at 32-33 I used it for 3 hours now and it goes up to 37 and then it goes back down to 33-34, needless to say this is excellent. please let me know if you have any further questions.

http://home.socal.rr.com/code10/pictures/coolit.jpg

http://home.socal.rr.com/code10/pictures/coolit4.0gz.jpg (lates shot at 4.0gz)

ps.

the crucial memory ballistix rocks, I have mine overclocked to 4-4-4-4 at 1000. that is some sick memory I have 4gb of it. just and FYI. for anyone looking for some good memory.

ask and you shall receive, here is the screenshot, it took a while because I didn't have a way to upload the picture so I used my free time warner web space, here you go, it's running at 3.98 idles at 32-33 I used it for 3 hours now and it goes up to 37 and then it goes back down to 33-34, needless to say this is excellent. please let me know if you have any further questions.

http://home.socal.rr.com/code10/pictures/coolit.jpg

http://home.socal.rr.com/code10/pictures/coolit4.0gz.jpg (lates shot at 4.0gz)

ps.

the crucial memory ballistix rocks, I have mine overclocked to 4-4-4-4 at 1000. that is some sick memory I have 4gb of it. just and FYI. for anyone looking for some good memory.

Is this ortho stable? If it's not then it hardly means a thing.

okay, so where are you people who own this cooler buying it from? I clicked on Kyle's link in his article and it takes me to their page but I dont see that one on their site.

what am I missing here?

there are certain places I got mine for $260, for the freezone. do a froogle search and pick the place where you want to get it from

Maybe I missed it, but I have been unable to find if this unit has a humidity sensor and an ambient air temperature sensor. Without these key sensors, this product cannot make dew point calculations so as to safely control the temperature of the water block in high humidity regions.

In other words, its fscking useless if you live in the south.

EDIT:
From their site: http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=82&Itemid=0
he Freezone TCM senses temperature of the coolant and regulates the cooling power like a thermostat to avoid risk of condensation. That said, if the temperature is set too low, the coolant will go well below ambient and condensation can occur. The TCM on the Eliminator has 3 settings - low, medium and high. "Low" is intended for very low power CPU's in a multimedia setting where there is a desire for very low noise output. "Medium" will be more than adequate cooling for day to day activities as well as gaming for stock processor speeds. "High" is maximum cooling power for the overclocking enthusiasts.

This thing is only monitoring COOLANT temperature, not ambient air temperature. And it only has High, Medium and Low.

Those in high humidity areas, you have been warned.

EDIT2 (more info):

Check this out:
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=313&type=expert&pid=4

in particular this picture: http://www.pcper.com/images/reviews/313/17-Temp-sensor.jpg

See that black TO-92?

1. It does not have a good thermal bond (i don't see any thermally conductive epoxy bonding it, but that might just be the way the picture was taken).

2. In my opinion, they should be monitoring the CPU water block. If the cold plate that the TECs are mounted on was insulated, then the TECs being sub-ambient would be a non-issue. You could then SAFELY get much closer to cooling the processor down to ambient without the need to monitor humidity, but you would still need to add a second temperature sensor mounted outside the PC case to monitor ambient temperature.

This thing looks to work just well enough to be dangerous.

Would be nice to get the overall size of the unit and not the size of every single part like posted on their website .How would i know if it fits ??? :mad:

Care to share a link?

I did a froogle search here is one I found,

http://www.shentech.com/freezonedh.html

and here is the guy I bought it from on ebay, he is a very good guy, he helped me out a lot, his name is dwayne and he is very professional and would do whatever to accomodate your needs highly recommended, he sells it for 289 but if you deduct the taxes you are looking about $260..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Freezone-THERMO...oryZ3673QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

good luck. if I were you I would buy from dwayne, immediate shipping within the same day as payment sent, great communication. take care and let me know how it goes.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I did a froogle search here is one I found,

http://www.shentech.com/freezonedh.html

and here is the guy I bought it from on ebay, he is a very good guy, he helped me out a lot, his name is dwayne and he is very professional and would do whatever to accomodate your needs highly recommended, he sells it for 289 but if you deduct the taxes you are looking about $260..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Freezone-THERMO...oryZ3673QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

good luck. if I were you I would buy from dwayne, immediate shipping within the same day as payment sent, great communication. take care and let me know how it goes.

Thanks I just bought one from Dwayne. Now lets just hope condensation don't occur :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks I just bought one from Dwayne. Now lets just hope condensation don't occur :)
good luck, you will enjoy it, please let me know if I can assit you in any way, I know what you mean about condensation, mine has gone as low as 19 degrees

Anemone,
If you visit the Coolit site there is mention of the upgrade, something called Boreas, which gives 12 pelts, 2 cpu blocks and a gpu block...
Where I couldn't find this on their site???

EDIT:
Nevermind found it: http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=142&Itemid=87
Also the "Predictive Cooling™" feature they mention uses USB port to monitor computer and raise cooling performance automatically, sounds cool (pun intended;)), but I wounder how it will work ?
I assume it's got something to do with this screenshot on their site:
M-T-EC-Control.jpg

Skasol,
ask and you shall receive, here is the screenshot, it took a while because I didn't have a way to upload the picture so I used my free time warner web space, ...
FYI:
http://imageshack.us/
http://photobucket.com/
dvdshrink ? I hope your using this to make legitimate backups of DVD's you own .... Hehehe :p

p.s. Did you use the pre-applied thermal paste that came on the CPU block, or wipe off and reapply your own?

good luck, you will enjoy it, please let me know if I can assit you in any way, I know what you mean about condensation, mine has gone as low as 19 degrees

I just got mine today. Fast shipping by Dwayne. I installed it and at idle with windows loaded its at 44 celcius. I have the knob turned all the way to the left and if I turn it to all the way to the right the temps shoot up to 52 celcius. I checked all the wiring and its all good. But these temps are way to high....Somethings not working here and Im not sure what. I used artic silver 5 with a small pinch on the center of the cpu.

Vcore 1.4 volts

I just got mine today. Fast shipping by Dwayne. I installed it and at idle with windows loaded its at 44 celcius. I have the knob turned all the way to the left and if I turn it to all the way to the right the temps shoot up to 52 celcius. I checked all the wiring and its all good. But these temps are way to high....Somethings not working here and Im not sure what. I used artic silver 5 with a small pinch on the center of the cpu.

Vcore 1.4 volts

that is odd, I took a screen shot on mine to check it out, and it's fine. make sure you have a pretty good air flow, also double check the cpu block, make sure it's tight, touch the water lines, are they cold? they should be, where did you place the thermal thing?
hardocp.jpg

I reseated the block again and I played around with the tiny screw and turned it all the way to the left. I boot into windows now at 33 c but with orthos running for 22 minutes now its reached 58 c tops so far. You seem to be getting good load temps but have you tried it with orthos instead of that intel software?

I reseated the block again and I played around with the tiny screw and turned it all the way to the left. I boot into windows now at 33 c but with orthos running for 22 minutes now its reached 58 c tops so far. You seem to be getting good load temps but have you tried it with orthos instead of that intel software?

I also get about the same load but remember mine is overclocked.

Mine is over clocked also but not as much as yours. I was expecting lower temps. And when I turn the dial to lower the speed the fan still spins as fast but the temp rises and vice versa. I cant seem to control the fan speed. Its spinning at 3100 rpm all the time no matter which way I set the dial.

where did you place the thermal thing?

I placed it exactly were the picture illustrates.

I like the Freezone but it seems that it cannot keep up with the Intel quad cores.
At 300$, the Freezone is not cheap and I would like to keep it at least 2 years (by this time quad cores will be mainstream).

This is an extract form the Extremeoverclocking forum
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=238411&page=2
He (the chief engineer at CoolIT System) also mentioned that they're designing a higher-capacity model for the Kentsfield quad-cores and other high-wattage chips coming out this next year. According to him it should be available around Q2, and will come standard with a variable RPM 120mm fan.

I think that I will wait for this baby!

CoolIT preps coolers for dual-socket dual-GPU workstations
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37037

It does work a little harder on a quad core, but it certainly keeps up.

Idle
idle0fg.jpg

Load (four instances of Orthos, one per CPU.
load0kf.jpg

^ wow! 81C+ on that quad core? :eek:

time to find a better cooling alternative.

Both the Freezone and Eliminator look great, but too expensive as I could just piece together something less that $200 with the same performance if not better.

The ease and looks do make me wanna buy it. :)

These things kinda seem like a hit or miss.

Both the Freezone and Eliminator look great, but too expensive as I could just piece together something less that $200 with the same performance if not better.

It sure is hit or miss. AT 1.4 volts mine barely stays at 39c at windows on a e6600.

Then with orthos on it goes up to 58c full load.

^ wow! 81C+ on that quad core? :eek:

time to find a better cooling alternative.

Most utilites would simply show 78C. Everest shows each core temp. And considering a stock quad CPU on air will reach those load temps, it is not so bad considering this is at 1.48V and about 3.5 GHz. You certainly cannot OC these CPUs with an air cooler very long or very far. Full load at stock is 56C compared with about 75C with air (yes, no OC on that). Idle 32C.

The $200 Eliminator will probably be a hot seller, relatively speaking.

I just got my Freezone in - I got a bit of a deal on it, but all in all it was around 40% more expensive than the other solution I was considering, the Swiftech H20-120 Premium.

Even though it took me over an hour to install the Freezone (my own fault - I didn't read the instructions, and despire how easy it looks, you MUST plan and test fit everything in your case beforehand, especially wire routing!) that's way less than what it would have taken me to install the Swiftech. I also wanted a completely maintenance free solution, the thought of checking or even topping up the Swiftech kit was a turn off (I know it's easy, and some folks like to do this, but I don't even want to think about my cooling at all for years at a time!)

Temp-wise, I have no idea how the [H] review got 30C load temps - that can't possibly be sustained load temps (an hour or more). When I first turned it on, I was getting 10C idle (this is with OC'd X2 3800+) and 25C load (20C ambient). However after 15 minutes of running Orthos it went quickly up to 40C load. That appears to be normal as the water heats up.

I will reserve final judgment until I get some more testing done, initial impressions are OK - it can certainly soak up more heat than the air cooler I had before (AC Freezer 64 Pro) and will probably allow me to extend my overclock.

Big deltas with TECs indicate a problem. The hotter they get, the worse they cool, the more power they pull, et cetera.

I remember when guys first started talking about doing this (pelt to HSF running off the psu) and I'm impressed that the CoolIt guy has pulled it off.

That said, I'd still be wary of a bunch of TECs drawing power of the same PSU that powers my PC and - effectively - being cooled by one HSF. The quadcore temps indicate that it just can't eat the wattage.

OK after a few days of testing, the verdict (in my case) is in: the Freezone is junk. With an AM2 X2 3800+ overclocked to 2.7GHz @ 1.4V, here's the comparison (ambient 20C):

Air cooling (Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro): idle 27C, load 43C
Freezone: sustained dle 20C, sustained load 48C

I have to qualify the "sustained" part of the Freezone temps because that's what they are: sustained, i.e. idling or loading for an hour or more. When I first installed and turned on the Freezone, or when turned on after being left off overnight, initial idle temps are very low - 10C-15C. Leave the computer on doing nothing (just idling in Windows) and temps quickly rise, but stablize to around 20-22C.

Load is where it gets really stupid. I ran one instance of Orthos, and as mentioned above temps quickly rise to 40C, seem to stablize for a minute or two, then rise again to 48-50C. Leave Orthos running for an hour and that's where they stay, around the 48C mark.

Now initially I thought I simply needed to turn the internal trimmer to its coldest setting, since it's supposed to leave the factory set to its midpoint - but lo and behold, my Freezone left the factory set to its coldest setting already (trimmer all the way to the left). That was definitely the coldest setting, if I moved the trimmer to the midway point, temps immediately went up to the high 50s/low 60s.

NOTHING I did lowered temperatures by any significant degree. The fact that the Freezone draws warm internal case air across its heatsink does not make any difference IMO - increasing closed case airflow with a 80mm 74CFM intake fan lowered temps by a degree, leaving the case door off lowered things by 2-3C, and reseating the waterblock with fresh AS5 did nothing for temps. The waterblock itself was screwed down very tight so heat transfer between the CPU and block was not the problem - simply put the heat load from the CPU could not be removed from the system.

Logically, this makes perfect sense - the Freezone uses a series of TECs that draw 56W, along with a 92mm square heatsink and fan to cool the TECs. I could not find exact specs on the fan in the Freezone, but going by its size (92x38mm) and noise level, I'm guessing it's rated for around 60CFM. TECs need to have their hot side cooled down to function properly, and at CPU idle, they work OK - however the heatsink and fan cannot dissipate the combined load of the TECs AND a loaded CPU in order to keep the temperature of the water even remotely close to the CPU idle level. PSU is not an issue (Enermax 600W w/35A 12V rail).

Think of it this way: a non-heatpipe HSF alone has trouble cooling a modern, overclocked dual core processor. Now add another 56W of heat from the TECs AND heat dump from the water pump, and what you have is a recipe for disaster. Yes, water has more heat carrying ability than air, but that heat is not being dissipated fast enough in order to maintain a low water temperature.

If anyone is thinking that running Orthos is an unfair test that can't possibly simulate real world load conditions, keep in mind that the Freezone installation instructions say to use Prime95 to test for load temps (Orthos uses same code as Prime95) and personally, I can load a CPU at 100% for hours at a time doing MPEG2 encoding or After Effects rendering.

Since my experience contrasts so markedly from the other reviews I've read (especially the one linked on the first page) I can only assume that the reviewers did not idle/load their system for as long as I did, or I got a dud Freezone - which I don't think is the case (mine had a date code of 3206 with instructions v1.15, so it's fairly recent). The water lines were definitely cool to the touch when first turned on and the fan spun up to increased CPU load.

About that fan - it's noticeably loud. Not objectionable, but louder than my previous air cooling setup. If the Freezone could maintain the same temps as air cooling at a much lower (near silent, as they advertise) noise level, I would have been satisfied with that. As is, it's louder AND performs worse so I can't use it, nor recommend it to anyone.

Wow theeclectic, your results are sure a lot different than what i got. I ran Dual instances of Prime95 for well over four hours and never got temps anywhere near that high on our 4200+. I see that you are not pushing a ton of voltage either. What TIM did you use and have you tried remounting the cooling block?

Wow theeclectic, your results are sure a lot different than what i got. I ran Dual instances of Prime95 for well over four hours and never got temps anywhere near that high on our 4200+. I see that you are not pushing a ton of voltage either. What TIM did you use and have you tried remounting the cooling block?

I used the stock TIM first, got the high temps and thought something was wrong, then I remounted with Arctic Silver 5 (as per AS5 instructions, half grain of rice in the center) and got the exact same temps. I'm sure everything was screwed down real tight, the waterblock did not wiggle at all. I don't usually put a lot of stock into temp readings between motherboards, but that huge of a difference (18C-20C) from your results was shocking.

If you ran yours for over 4 hours then I must have gotten a dud unit, or something changed in the design, or you got a cherry picked review model? I don't know. All I know is that my air cooling setup works better and is much quieter!

I remember a friend who had one of those Swiftech air cooled pelts for his old socket 478 2.4C. It had a 200W pelt on it which required an external Meanwell PSU and a LOUD Vantec Tornado fan just to get something in the range of 10C difference between high end (for the time) air cooling. With that in mind, in hindsight I am not really surprised that the Freezone did not work that well.

Unfortunatly I dont have anything to compare, but for what its worth...

I modified my Freezone with a 120x38mm fan (45db 114cfm) in place of the stock 92mm, offset it to one side a bit as to not interfere with the hose from bottom water block to the top. Made a "fan shroud" from duct tape to direct the sucking power through the radiator.... and have that mounted in the CM Stacker 830 rear 120mm exhaust....

All of this on a Qx6700 stock speeds/volts it idled at 22c, 37c at load.
Upped the speed to 3150 an bumped V to 1.325 idle 33c load 48c

Havent had lots of time to play with it, but got it as "hot" as 53c at full load 3400 and 1.45v

I had similar results with my QX6700. It tips over about 3.5 GHz, however. Can't keep up after that.

Back