Cooling: Thinking outside the box. (Air conditioners)

velusip

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm talking about air conditioners. Ambient heat is a pretty huge factor in cooling your PC considering most of us just blow that ambient air over the processor expecting it to cool. So I need an AC, but my window is too small and querky for a window-mounted model, and the portable AC's are too expensive. My place is really small, so anything will work... except for those evaporative AC's. I'm just not convinced those could work.

So here's the plan:

• Buy the cheapest air conditioner I can find. ($98CAD thus far.)
  • Buy one of those drip pads for a dish rack, some hard foam pads, and some duct tape.
  • Set the air conditioner on the foam pads which sit in the dish rack by the sink.
  • Build a ducting system with cardboard and duct tape around the in/out ports of the AC.

Hopefully this will:

• Guide dripping water into the drain and not all over the floor.
  • Prevent noisy reverberation.
  • Guide warm air in from one side of the room and cycle accordingly.
  • COOL MY ROOM.

Any bets?

(TIP* I know this sounds like a great case mod- an AC, but this could lead to massive condensation. Take extra preventative measures if you attempt anything this desperate.)

Something I would also consider in this is your humidity. where do you live? when using a condensing a/c system it can increase the humidity in the air blown because of the condensing system collecting moisture from humidity in the air. If you are in a dry climate if not then I would consider running a dehumidifier in your home for at least a day and keep it running to prevent internal problems. Just a thought.

Back