Cooling the pump...?

Ghent915

Gawd
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
974
Hey guys.
I got my W/C rig up and running for the past few weeks, 24/7, with a 100% load on it due to folding. No leaks, so I'm happy.

Anyways, I was tweaking on the inside of my case, and felt the side of my D5 pump. It was a wee touch on the hot side. I was wondering, short of an immersion pump, has anyone pondered a mechanism to cool the pump itself?

It seems to me that the pump is one of the most vital components of the system. Keeping it cool would go a long way to increasing it's lifespan (not that we really worry about that..), and also dump less heat into the flow.


-Ghent
 
It would be a waste if time. D5 is already rated for 50,000 hours mtbf. Plus their heat output is very small.
 
I wouldn't worry about it much, but you could just cool it a little by putting it in front of a case fan. In both my cases the pump is sitting by a 120mm fan............. :eek: They don't even feel warm to the touch............... :D
 
I guess it's just in my nature to slightly over-react. LOL!
I suppose I'll just have to turn my front case fans back on then.
Thanks for the advice guys.

I guess this falls into the area of questionable gains, much like NB coolers, or whatnot.

-Ghent
 
Even though you're water cooling, you still need to have case fans to cool the inside of your case and all the other parts that aren't water cooled. So a few well placed low RPM fans are a good thing.
 
Back
Top