• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cooling the new Phenom

UltimateNewbie

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 10, 2008
Messages
125
I have the new Phenom 9950 Black Ops (125w edition).

I overclocked to 3.1Ghz from 2.6GHz but the core was running at about 68*c with the other readings ranging from 57*c - 63*c.

So i turned it off, reset some of the settings back to factory and went online and bought a Tuniq Tower 120-LFB CPU Cooler.

Here is a link to the CPU cooler online.

Any recommendations until i get water in a couple of months? I dont want to damage the components afterall.....
 
What are you asking for...? You bought a cooler already and um, need another suggestion, what?
 
more fans?
sort out the ventilation on the exhaust side?
try putting the clock settings to this?
monitor the fans and temp with this?
set to shutdown at this temp?

i just dont want to kill my new kit and as this is the first pc i've built from scratch i thought you guys might be able to input from experience.
 
i was thinking of putting another fan on the outside of the case where the exhaust fan is blowing out(on the other side of the exhaust fan.. This would increase the volume of extraction.... hopefully :)
 
I have the same chip and I got a Zalman 9700 AM2 and I have mine OC'd to 3.225 and it is in the 30's idle and peeks at 50's.

My ambient room temp is mid 60's and I have the new Zalman GS1000 case and it has great cooling.

My two cents.
 
Tuniq Tower should be able to cool that sucker pretty well. Make sure you do a good job applying only a thin layer of thermal paste and screw about a turn at a time going from corner to opposite corner to make sure you have good contact. That should get you most of the way to water temps anyway.
 
I am getting the xigmatek 1283 for my 9700 AM2.

I hope this will bring my temps down for my 3.225. Was able to bring the volts down from 1.45 since I think the AS has cured.

So we will see.

I know this chip has more in it even on air. :D
 
I just ordered a WC system.

We will see what I can get this chip down to in temps and up to in OCing.
 
Back
Top