• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cooling problem

dave_borg98

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
154
I have an XP90 with a panaflow fan on my A64 3000+ Venice. It is in a MSI NEO2 Plat and an Antec Plusview Case. I am getting temps of 41C-43C at idle and trying to figure out why the temps are as high as they are. I did notice that I put the fan on backwards (blowing away from the XP90) and I fixed that. It did not change the temps at all. I figured it was an airflow issue so I checked the 2 80mm fans in the back (antec brand and they are exhausting) and the 2 80mm fans in the front (antec brand also and the are pulling air in). The BIOS reads the motherboard temp at 25C and the room temp is about 68F-70F.

I have AS5 on it. I may have used a little too much after reading how much some other people use. I used a little bit more than a grain of rice sized amount in the center when I installed the XP90.

I have not came across many things about the NEO2 Plat misreading the temps to bad but I am sure that can be an issue. Any help or suggestions would be great. I am going to post pics as soon as I can tonight.
 
There are a few things you can try to improve your temps. Firstly I would recommend re-mounting your heatsink and cleaning off the AS5 and start from scratch. This time put slightly less compound, this may drop your temps a few degrees. Also you can look into getting a more powerful fan for your heatsink (is your current fan a low CFM fan? i.e. is the airflow measure under 30CFM?) such as a Tornado (loud as hell, but produces about 85CFM!!!) which would definately decrease your temps or a less extreme option such as a fan thats rated around 50CFM which aren't too loud and offer good performance.
 
You said the bios is reading the mobo temps at 25c yet you are getting a 41-43c with a program (which one by the way) it seems to me that based off of your wording your comparing the mobo temp to the cpu temp, as in you saw the cpu was high with a program then went to bios and compared it to the mobo temp instead of the cpu temp. If this is a typo and the 25c is actually the cpu temp in bios then I would go off of that. You know if can run a burn in or a cpu dependant game for quite a while without crashing or freezing, I would bet your fine.
 
I will try to reseat the heatsink and use less AS5 this time.

Nemesis - I was not using a program. The Bios states that the CPU is 41-43c and the mobo is 25c. The systems starts to crash after a while under a load.
 
I'm also on a Neo2 with an XP90...If I remember rightly there was temperature ready issues in some revisions of the BIOS I'm currently run 1.9 which shows no problems. If the temps. are correct they would be on the higher side of normal - my winnie 3000+ ran at about 38oC without Q'n'Cool. I'm currently running a X2 3800+ @2.8Ghz which idles at 41oC with 1.4v but drops down to 32oC with Q'n'Cool or RMClock (Which I recommend) @1.12Ghz - 1.2v.
 
Back
Top