Cooling Lian Li Q08

hybry

Weaksauce
Basicly I would like to reduce noise when idling. I will be replacing CPU cooler with Samurai ZZ, which seems the best in terms of price and performace considering the limitations. (AXP-140 too expensive and availability not good in Latvia)

So next thing is case fans. Does anybody know what is the front and rear fan specs, cfm and dba they produce?

Is there point in upgrading to a 140mm and 120mm fans both ~60 cfm scythe fans rated at ~23-24 dba.

Additionally (or more importantly) Would it not be a better idea to set both fans to be intake? Top one would give more fresh air to the CPU cooler and there are enough holes for the air to escape.

Edit: if this had to go to the OC and cooling section then please move it there

Last edited:
Taking an educated guess, but I would say that leaving the top fan as exhaust is your best bet. Everything I have heard about Lian LI fans says taht they are very quiet. I am currently build a Q07 and while it doesnt have case fans it does have the PSU right over the CPU. Depending on the CPU that could be another 120-140mm fan exhausting air. I know the Q08 is wider so you have room for a bigger cooler than I do. As for the fan sizes, hopefully someone with Q08 experience can answer your question.

well at this point noise is alright, but what I really would like to improve is the airflow.

Even throuhg the CPU is running at around 80C, when I put my hand near exaust fan it is cool. Any ideas on how to make it more efficient at exausting hot air?

The CPU is running at 80C? At load with with the stock cooler?

I had that case before moving to a Q11 but I didn't use the stock case fans so I can't vouch for those. I ended up replacing the top exhaust with a SFF21D (800 rpm, 33 CFM, 8.7 dba) and the front intake with a UCTB14 (750 rpm, 45.42 CFM, 15 dba). I have a Scythe Big Shuriken as my HSF with the fan as another SFF21D. Temperatures were good in the high 20s, low 30s while at load maybe up to like 60. I can't remember but my room was a little chilly at the time. I did switch the top exhaust to intake to see if it would improve the temperatures but it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

I was hoping you would chime in since I have seen your Q08 postings. 80's in a desktop?! Heck my cheap ass laptop cpu doesn't hit 80s. Listen to wonSR4 and get a better CPU cooler.

The wierd thing is that I have 2 cores hitting around 80 while 2 cores stay at about 70. I think I might have installed the stock cooler improperly.

Looking to replace the stock cooler with Scythe Samurai ZZ in near future.
Installed another Enermax fan on the drive cage so that it blows on mobo adn CPU,. Droped the temps a bit so that was good

The wierd thing is that I have 2 cores hitting around 80 while 2 cores stay at about 70. I think I might have installed the stock cooler improperly.

Looking to replace the stock cooler with Scythe Samurai ZZ in near future.
Installed another Enermax fan on the drive cage so that it blows on mobo adn CPU,. Droped the temps a bit so that was good

Well regarding the difference in core temperatures, you may have installed it improperly but core temperatures can also have big differences between them from time to time.

I have GA-H55N-USB3 mobo with i5 760.
Also have Radeon 6870.

The temp difference worries me because it only occurs under load, and I was expecting to have even load on all cores under prime95. Idle temps are roughly equal across the board.

i'd start by checking the thermal paste and the stock cooler mounting, intel coolers are notorious for poor contact / mounting

i'd start by checking the thermal paste and the stock cooler mounting, intel coolers are notorious for poor contact / mounting

Can't say I was happy to see that Intel stock pre-applied paste was not evenly spread, but consisted of 3 lines on the base of the cooler.

Will let you know how it goes when I change the cooler to samuari zz (hope to do it this or next week)

BTW, aftermarket coolers come with termal paste of I will have to buy that as well?

Back