Cooling ideas for a SK43G?

Keetha

Limp Gawd
I just bought a complete SK43G system from my friend for $70. It has 2x256mb, 2 HDDs, DVD-ROM, XP 1800+ and the PSU. I am big into overclocking and want to push this thing to the max. I noticed it's getting pretty toasty inside and I haven't even started raising the voltages yet, so I have some questions.
1. Are there any good heatsink replacements for this model?
2. Does anyone have any experience adding a fan to this system, or know where I could find a guide?
3. What is the average max FSB for this model?
I'd appreciate any and all comments, even if they don't relate to my questions. This is my furst SFF so far and I love it! It's so good looking. If I left some information out, let me know.

Well I suppose it has 200 or 220 watt PSU? If so get 250 watt Xsilent PSU from Shuttle it will be silent and it will keep voltages more stable when OC-ing.

You shouldnt go away from ICE heat pipe Shuttle cooler cause nothign else will cool better ion that SFF. Only You can easyly make it more efficient by cutting out grill behind a "radiator" and add cover with mesh covered vents or make those existing holes bigger.
Also cleaning a ICE makes it preform better. Just take it carefully off and wash it, then dry it out. Clean CPU core with lighter gasoline and then with alcohol (polypropylen) and use good thermal paste (AS 5)

You can also exchange a fan. 'My choice was a YS Tech 80 mili 50 CFM fan with external speed regulation. Then I've went in BIOS set it up to a Full blast and then dailed in speed I've needed at a moment.

Acctualy somewhere here You can find my extended post on cooling a G-chassis (Your SFF is Shuttle with G chassis) There are allmost all good mods one can doo.

Addin a fan on outside works but removing grill and changing fan makes it allmost unneccecary. Also external fan is easy to brake. Some people though tkae out a grill and inside fan cage and internal fan and use just a external 120 mili fan on 80 to 120 mili fan adapter (fan sucking hot air out of Shuttle).

XPC's from that period where not super OC-ers. If I would own one I would search for fastest CPU that can go in and then OC-ed it from there (with higher multiplier You are not affected so much by not beeing able to go to a high FSB) Also CPU from that period of Socket A can't be that exprencive nowdays.

Be shure Your cooling works before You OC otherwise everythign will burn. SFF are less forgivable regarding a heat.

Good luck,

MD

Thanks a lot for the advice! I already cleaned out all of the dust and replaced the thermal compound with my AS5. I like your idea about cutting out the back grill, I will do that for sure. That won't me fun though becasue I will have to take a lot out of the box to avoid getting metal flakes on important parts. I would love to get a new high powered fan, but I think the one in there already is about as loud as I want to go. Does anyone know of a really fast, but relatively quiet fan (not silent though, noise isn't that big of a problem for me)? Fan on the outside won't look as good and will make it bigger, so that's out.

i got the same shuttle....sk43g

max fsb is 333 even tho the chip is a kt400 i believe.

u cant OC this for shit.

mine consists of an XP2700+, gf4 ti 4200 golden sample, 512mb ram, 2x80gb seagate barracudas sata raid 0 and a dvdrom.

pretty simple setup, it was a gaming machine, but i turned it into my home theatre pc, but its still completly capable for gaming....

on a side note, the way i have it setup for home theatre is kinda weird i think.

my win2k3 server has a microsoft pci 54g wireless card in it, running routing from the internal lan to the wireless pci and i have it setup adhoc, with a MS 11mb usb wireless adapter in my shuttle. even tho i have routing, i dont have dhcp on it, and i use static ip's on the shuttle....everything works pretty swell for streaming movies and shows from my server...but im wondering about my gaming and latency times, shouldnt be too bad, but meh havnt had time to test gaming...ok enough of me for now

Yeah, I did notice that FSB thing. It is supposed to be a 400 chipset, but I max out at 165.... If I set it at 166, it won't boot. Very annoying. But still better than nothing considering both the RAM and CPU are at 133 by default. I didn't need to increase any voltages and my RAM latency stayed the same, so that's good. So far I went from 11.5x133=1530mhz to 12x150=1800mhz with complete stability in prime95. I can do 12x165=1980mhz, but it crashes in prime95 after about 15-30 minutes. Do I need to raise the RAM voltage? or the CPU voltage?

Back