Cooling for a Q6600

ClockerX

n00b
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
19
I'm a fist time builder and I am planning to use a Q6600 for a Micro ATX Motherboard, if I dont plan to overclock would it be safe to use the fan and heat sink that comes with the cpu? Also should I include a NB or SB fan/heatsink? I'll be using 4 sticks of 1GB ram, onboard video and audio. I mean I definitely would over clock it, however I cant seem to find a good powersupply for a microatx motherboard. The case i'm getting comes with a 275w psu ): And i'll probably not be able to place a decent fan (zalman) to cool the cpu? Can I? If so, can i use a 275w for overclocking to say 2.9-3Ghz?, Please give me some suggestions

thanks

Since my slim microatx case is small, link below:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154087
MB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131237
 
I want to say yes on the psu, but i myself would recommend you get a budget psu (cant name one off the top of my head) to ensure system stability when overclocking. As for the stock hsf, it would be able to handle the mild oc, but something like an arctic freezer pro or thermalright si-128 (dont know how much room the case has) would be sufficient and still leave you headroom in case you have a bad overclocker.
 
I agree that the stock HSF is fine for stock and probably ok for VERY mild OC. I'd also agree on the SI128 as a good HS for moderate OC. I have an Enzotech Ultra-X and it's a similar style to the SI-128 but bigger.

I'm not so sure if the 275w ps is sufficient for a quad even at stock though. It might be, but you'd have to try it. I definately don't think it'd handle much if any OC though.
 
Back
Top