Cooling for a 2400-M

thecarguy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 17, 2004
Messages
206
I am going to build a system with an AMD Athlon 2400+ Mobile.
I would like to use a Zalman CNPS-7000-A-Cu heatsink, but I am not sure if it is compatible with any of the boards I am looking at, because they have rather large Northbridge coolers.

I am looking at:
EPoX nForce2 Ultra 400, "EP-8RDA3+"
Asus A7N8X
Abit NF7

Can any of these boards support a CNPS-7000 with none, or limited modification?

Thank you.
 
What kind of clip modification will I need for the EPoX? I am planning on using an Aspire X-Alien, it it fairly roomy so I don't think my PSU should interfere.
 
i dont get why everyone's raving about the zalman..

i like the Thermalright SP-97 100% more.. much better performance imo.
 
Zalman 7000 AlCu performs as well as the SP 97 but is nearly silent.

As for clip modification, all you do is trim off a little of the extra part that sticks off when you screw it on. if you look at the clips, theres two holes, the AMD setup only screw into the ones closest to the proc, the extra that hangs off, is what gets trimmed off. not a big deal or hard at all.


also if boards are an option, the DFI's are really the best, same or better features than those you listed, plus no modification IIRC
 
Kronchev, thank you very much, that was immensly helpful. I thought I was going to lose structural integrity by trimming off some of the mount. I now know the truth. :) . I actually did look at the DFI, and Ultra Infinity, on the nForce 2 Ultra 400 chipset looks good to me. This board is recommended by all of you?
 
you may wanna look into water, I jsut did and its working great.

my 2400 mobile is loving the dfi infinity. its de f a great board. but make SURE you buy ram that can do 230-250mhz if u wanna get most use out of it.
 
Back
Top