• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cooling for 9700 Pro that has none

Joined
Oct 4, 2003
Messages
43
I have a pseudo-engineering sample of a 9700 Pro (don't ask me where I got it). I get a lot of crashes when I'm playing pretty intense games (HL2, Doom 3, Thief 3). The card has nothing for cooling on the RAM and it has only a simple, black fan for cooling on the GPU. I'm quite sure that it's not some other piece of hardware in my machine. My CPU is running at 52 under full load, which is well within a comfortable range for a Barton.

So what is a good cooler for a 9700 Pro?
 
Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Revision 3 w/ AS5 thermal material

As for ram cooling on the card, you may just want to find some small copper ramsinks and use some good thermal adhesive/epoxy (ie Arctic Allumina thermal adhesive).

Oh, just for future reference, you would have gotten faster/more responses if this was in the Videocard Forum (in the ATi Flavor section of the Videocard forum).
 
If it is overheating with the stock cooling, there is a problem.

Yeah, a problem with the cheapass stock cooling. I had a MSI 9800 Pro that overheats and crashes with the stock MSI cooler. Which BTW is identical to the BB ATI card, just an MSI sticker on the fan. Took the stock POS cooler off and put on an all copper arctic cooling ATI silencer. Quieter fan and most importantly, no more crashing! :)
 
Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Revision 3 w/ AS5 thermal material
 
to be different.... I'll agree with what everyone else said.... but I'll say.... creamique! :p
 
You might try one of the Zalman Heatpipe coolers as an alternative to the NVSilencer.

Mr.Dearthian
 
take an old copper cpu heatsink and drill 2 holes in the bottom of it and slap that thing on it. that will cool like mad.
 
Thanks, everyone for the suggestions. Looks like it's going to be the VGA Silencer Rev. 3 or the ATI Silencer 1. Anyone have any links comparing the two?

Go with the older. I've been hearing that the new ones are louder...

Is there a tradeoff for performance? I have a lot of noise in my computer already, so I might not be able to hear it over the 3 80mm, 92mm, and Antec TruePower 550.
 
CloudEmeron said:
Thanks, everyone for the suggestions. Looks like it's going to be the VGA Silencer Rev. 3 or the ATI Silencer 1. Anyone have any links comparing the two?



Is there a tradeoff for performance? I have a lot of noise in my computer already, so I might not be able to hear it over the 3 80mm, 92mm, and Antec TruePower 550.
I put VGA Rev 3s on both a 9700 Pro and 9800 Pro, they fit fine. Just take your time, check the fit on the core carefully since that sample might be a little different, and most importantly, DO NO overtighten the screws, you will crush the core. The primary advantage the Rev 3 has is the fan speed is adjustable, on all the other Silencers it runs ata a constant speed.

Oh yes, get some ramsinks like the Vantecs or OCZ. and you will have to install the ramsinks before final install of the Silencer, there's not much clearance, with the Silencer installed. I used a 50/50 mix of AS5 and Arctic Alumina epoxy.
 
Back
Top