Cooling fan for a HT Amp

EndersShadow

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have a unique situation, I am looking for a couple fans to put horizontally on top of an amp to help dissapate heat.

I want it to be almost silent and able to run off either a 5, 7 or 12v power cord. It needs to be able to run directly off power.

Prefer if its a 120mm or bigger fan and able to run silent. Doesnt need to spin super fast, actually the slower the better.

Suggestions?

I had an old Arctic Cooler 12v fan that started sounding horrible after 1 day. I have a couple Antec 3 speed fans from a P182 that are running off a 5v USB cord that work and sound quiet, but wondering if something else out there is better.

Thanks in advance.

I've had a pair of real sleeve bearing yate loon 1600rpms facing DOWN (blowing air from the top of the amp, through the large heatsink downwards out the bottom of the case).

They've been running off a cheap ipad charger block at 5v, plugged into one of the power passthrough's on the back of the amp. They've been going great at around 600rpm for 3 years now. Dropped my heatsink temps by over 30c at full bridged load into 2 8ohm 300wrms floorstanders. I think the amp is putting out 100wrms each channel @ 8ohms.

Those normally intake air from above and push it out the bottom. Not good since I want the air to be pulled from the inside of the amp and pushed upward.

Actually, the majority I've seen take in air from the bottom and push it up against the bottom of the laptop. So it should work just fine.

Directional airflow onto a heatsink would work better than trying to pull air through a heatsink though. Either from the bottom up, or from the top down. Convective forces are extremely weak, and shouldn't be a consideration.

I've had a pair of real sleeve bearing yate loon 1600rpms facing DOWN (blowing air from the top of the amp, through the large heatsink downwards out the bottom of the case).

They've been running off a cheap ipad charger block at 5v, plugged into one of the power passthrough's on the back of the amp. They've been going great at around 600rpm for 3 years now. Dropped my heatsink temps by over 30c at full bridged load into 2 8ohm 300wrms floorstanders. I think the amp is putting out 100wrms each channel @ 8ohms.

Thanks. Will see if I can find find something similar.

I need about 3 of em I guesstimate for my Carver AV-705x 5 channel amp.

Its got a shelf right above it thats not helping either so I want to try and get more air through it. It doesn't get super warm, but right now I am only presenting it 1 4ohm load, and here shortly it will get 2 more surrounds added to it.

Back