• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cooling down a 3.6Ghz Prescott...

yogiB

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
202
Hi folks!

I'm new to this forum as well as to computer hardware in general. Therefore, it'd be good if your responses can be as "layman" as possible.

I just upgraded my computer to an Intel P4 3.6GHz processor and Intel D915GAV motherboard. Now, my problem is HEAT! Also, nothing is being overclocked! ;)

My setup uses the heat-sink and fan that, I assume, came with the processor (got the machine assembled at a store). The Intel software claims that the CPU area temperature is between 60 deg C - 65 deg C. This, I believe, is too much. I've heard that optimal temperature should be < 50C.

The Casing is such that there's a funnel that conducts air from a cut-out on one side directly to the processor fan. When I place my hand near the intake, I can feel the air being sucked in. But, inspite of this, the temperature is high.

So, my question is: how can I effectively cool the system WITHOUT taking the water-cooling route? Since I'm not too hardware savvy, WC is out of the question.

What are my other options? In case of products, please give brand names and on-line retailers where I might purchase those products.

Thank you very much for any help extended.
 
what kind of thermal paste are you using, or is it the stock pad/etc. If so I would first try and use some artic silver.
 
if you want cool temps and a prescott you have to go watercooling or a really big Zaleman heatsink.

i personaly use water (love it)

got my 3.2 prescottt to 3.84 prime95 stable with a koolance exos setup with idle temps of 38C and load temps of 47
 
KaptainBlaZzed said:
if you want cool temps and a prescott you have to go watercooling or a really big Zaleman heatsink.

i personaly use water (love it)

got my 3.2 prescottt to 3.84 prime95 stable with a koolance exos setup with idle temps of 38C and load temps of 47

If I had the know-how, the patience, and the inclination, I would have certainly gone for the water-cooled option. But none of those characteristics do I have. :)
 
i guess that the prices of the two vary according to where you are, and where you can buy from................around here (near toronto ontario) i can get the thermalright for somewhat less than the zalman, when last i looked.

you might be able to knock a few degrees off your core temps by carefully cleaning off the stock thermal pad from your existing heatsink, cleaning your heat spreader, MAYBE givging them both a quick pass with 1500-2000 grit sandpaper, to clean and smooth (i am NOT reccomending that you lap the thing, just clean it) and carefully applying some arctic silver 5 thermal compound, as per manufacturer instructions.

a few degrees, as i said, but if you want cool temps and overclocking potential, you need a bigger and badder heatsink.

final points in favour of the thermalright, as opposed to the zalman: 1) the thermalright is lighter, meaning that it is less likely to bend and damage your motherboard under the weight. 2) whereas the bare copper on the zalman can ozidize with time, the thermalright is nickle plated, to resist oxidation for both looks and performance reasons.
 
Back
Top