• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cooling A 4870

Alaska Wolf

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
111
I have a Sapphire 4870 1GB on the way from NewEgg. I also have a Thermalright T-Rad2 and two 92mm Scythe KAMA-FLEX FAN92SCY-12L SA0925FDB12L Fan (29.7
CFM, 19.7 dBA ordered from Petras. The Petras order hasn't shipped yet because they won't open till Monday Morning. (I think)

After doing more investigation I have seen a bunch of posts online that indicate this is a crappy cooling solution because it doesn't deal with the VRM's. I was hoping for a quiet solution short of W/C for the moment. I have e-mailed Alex at Petras asking the order be held till I can speak with them.

Any suggestions on a good solution? Quiet AND effective?
 
Great! I have seen where I could cut the old heat spreader out and use it but am not as comfortable with that suggestion. Unless it would work better than iandh's sinks. I wish I could redact the e-mail I sent to Alex at Petra's last night. Panicking I was!
 
"The reference" design. I couldn't remember that term. How do you know this card doesn't deviate? NewEgg doesn't seem to list that info. The reason I am asking all this is AFTER I placed my order I found lots of folks had HOT VRM's with aftermarket coolers. Wiped that smug Geek God smirk off my face...
 
Yes your card is built on a reference designed PCB. And under the stock heat sink there is a separate heat sink for the VRM's that is held on by push pins. The VRM's will still get real hot with the stock cooler removed and the stock sinks left on the VRM's, it will still need fairly good air flow over whatever heat sink you install.

dsc00690tr6.jpg


dsc00828mx3.jpg
 
How do you know this card doesn't deviate?

Because Sapphire doesn't have any non-reference versions of the 4870. The only way to really know is just to keep up with what's going on, or to get a picture of a reference PCB and compare it.
 
I called Thermalright and was told the VRM's Temp's that people are worried about only occur in things like Furmark. That in normal operation, even intense gaming, they would be fine. I was also told the two 92mm 27.9 CFM Scythe's I ordered would be fine.

I am unconvinced. :(

I'm still hoping Petra's hasn't packed and shipped the order yet.
 
Back
Top