CoolerMaster V10! (56k warning)

Strange, I have had 3 DSM's (still have my 99 Black on black GSX) and have been on a DSM Forum for quite some time, and I don't know anyone on that board that would call a DSM reliable.

In the last ... 3-4 years, finding a DSM in NICE condition, costs you 2-3x blue book anyway, so I considered it relevant to the comparison.

Didn't say they were reliable, but not to bad for being cheap turbo cars. If your lucky enough to be the first/only owner and take care of them, they can have a good life, compared to what Ferrari is know for, 20 miles off the lot new and it blows an oil cooler line. For the price, it's just ridiculous.

It looks like it is available on FrozenCPU now. I guess I will wait for the reviews to come out sometime next week.

It looks like it is available on FrozenCPU now. I guess I will wait for the reviews to come out sometime next week.

*crosses fingers*

Maybe I won't need to go water cooled..

Interesting, so this thing is able to beat a TRUE? Can any reviews on this thing yet? I'd be interested to see some temps with a Q6600 or i7 at 4.0 and up. $140 seems like a descent deal for it thus far, but
I would definitely need to see some comparison data against a TRUE with high rpm fans.

I'm sure with some additional tweaking, i.e. fan change, and TEC change + lower voltage the v10 could quite easily beat a TRUE, but take into effect that's really the advantage of a TEC, it's small, it's cheap, and it's a very effective heat pump.

I’m in the process of ordering everything for my new build and just placed a pre-order for this, hopefully, very bad boy @ Frozen.

Did some more testing today and i have confirmed that i was able to trigger the TEC to 50%. What appears to be happening is that the TEC cools to a certain point and then once it sits there for a bit the sensor cools down and shuts the TEC off so that explains my fluctuation in temperatures. I am once again sitting at 44C even though ive been running prime for over an hour. My temperature delta appears to be 8C. So my CPU gets up to 51C and then it appears that the TEC kicks back on and brings it down to 44C.

I assumed that the TEC functions automatically, i.e. turns on when temps reach a certain point and then goes into standby when the temps are sufficiently lowered?

Also, did you lap either the CPU, or the V10?

t has thermal triggers, that through my testing dont really get triggered unless you're under FULL Load at least for like half an hour with a Quad or... overclocked very high. Otherwise, you'd be better off just using the air part of the cooler which also seems to give very good performance.

I did not lap either the V10 or the CPU. As i wish to keep my warranty on my CPU and my V10 already came almost perfect.

Thanks for the quick reply Russian. I was assuming the V10 didn’t need lapping because I couldn’t locate a single thread anywhere about anyone lapping a V8.

I was going to order a lapped Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366 RT from crazypc ($88.99), with a push/pull setup from heatsinkfactory ($20.23) but after a fair amount of thinking I changed my mind and pre-ordered this monster today.

Too bad you didn’t do a video on the installation, hint, wink, nod; like the guy from Vigor did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epgm-xXuG5M

I’m sure that would fun, especially the dancing part ;)

I thought I'd test my new Cooler Master V10 this morning with the Intel Burn Test. According to the threads I've read this program really put a load on your system, with most all of the reviewers stating that their CPU temps were noticeably higher than with Prime95; in several instances up to 20C higher. I have yet to over clock anything but I did want to establish a benchmark.

I ran the Burn Test at maximum stress for 5 runs and my CPU temps never went above 51C; so the TEC didn't even have a chance to kick in. So far I'm impressed with the results and next week I'll try some mild over clocking and evaluate the results.

Here are a couple of pics of the V10 in my new build:

I thought I'd test my new Cooler Master V10 this morning with the Intel Burn Test. According to the threads I've read this program really put a load on your system, with most all of the reviewers stating that their CPU temps were noticeably higher than with Prime95; in several instances up to 20C higher. I have yet to over clock anything but I did want to establish a benchmark.

I ran the Burn Test at maximum stress for 5 runs and my CPU temps never went above 51C; so the TEC didn't even have a chance to kick in. So far I'm impressed with the results and next week I'll try some mild over clocking and evaluate the results.

Here are a couple of pics of the V10 in my new build:

Looks good! I have the same case too.

1200g and $140 seems kind of absurd given that it only cools ~3°C avg better under load than a standard TRUE with a single fan on an overclocked i7 as seen here and actually gets outperformed by the Noctua here in both heat dissipation and noise. Both coolers cost less than $70 and weigh less than 900G with fan.

v10 also cools your memory at the same time.

also the testing method by tweak town is different.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1200/thermal_chamber_heatsink_testing_methods/index.html

Before the v10, the True was king of the hill, yet the Noctura gets better results than the True? Sorry but lab results and real world results are different.

the v10 isnt for everyone... its not for stock or even light to moderate overclocking... I am thinking about the v10 for a air cooler... either that or self contained water unit. but yeah the v10 is overkill unless i was to have the i7 920 oc'd to up past 3.5.

TweakTown's heatsink testing methodology is ingenious, comparable only to SPCR's which is the only other review site I trust for truly accurate heatsink and fan reviews.

Before the v10, the True was king of the hill, yet the Noctura gets better results than the True? Sorry but lab results and real world results are different.

First of all - no - Tweaktown's and SPCR's results both show a slightly higher delta under load for the Noctua vs the TRUE. However it is notable that the fan on the Noctua is the most silent one they have ever tested, and is also their #1 recommended 12cm fan for all purposes.

Second of all - it is a given that lab results and real world results are different. The purpose of lab testing methodologies such as what TweakTown and SPCR use is to eliminate all of the variables that occur in the real world to increase the accuracy of results for comparing one heatsink's heat dissipation to another, specifically.

I understand that a TEC cooler is designed for high-voltage overclocking applications but also keep in mind that the Pro-clockers review I referenced tested those coolers on an i7 920 @ 3900Mhz and 1.4v, and the TRUE was still capable of keeping its average core delta within a few degrees of the V10.

I would say its a very close fit if not a fit at all. Do you know how much clearance those cases have from the mobo to the top of the case?

Cooler height is 161.3mm

The LC16M says its total height is 170mm which is extremely close to being the max... but i dont know if that height includes mobo tray, etc.etc.

The HardCaso is like 171mm essentially the same size.

Its not to loud. Ive been running one for a few days now and its an awesome cooler. Its a bit bulky and overpowering but its a nice look and cool the memory very well. It has a slight hum to the two 120mm fans in the plastic enclosure but its not bad for the cooling it offers.

Back