Coolermaster Upgrade Worklog (NO 56k!!)

xtatdsm said:
looking very good bro. what's your idle/load temps with that?

29c idle 36C load.

Previous rad was a dual 80mm.

Idle on the old was 35c load was 44C

excellent for sale thread,, nice stuff.
although 10 foot of tubing is only $1.50(yes 10 foot for $1.50 not $1.50 per foot) at ANY hardware store. home depot, menards, and others.

id like to get another rad and res.maybe lol

bump for you and all your cool parts.

Neo_Cloud_99 said:
Would it be possible to mount a Dual 120mm Radiator in the top of this case? Like one of these...

http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Radiators/thermochill.asp - Thermochill HE120.2

Definitely. You'd have two drill two holes, obviously. But yeah.

There are people that actually mounted their double heatercores on the BOTTOM, routing the airflow screen on the bottom and making it larger.

I wanted to get by with no mods that required drilling into the case.

Can you please measure the inside of the drive bays, because I'm wondering if a dual heater core will fit in there. Thanks.

Banko said:
Can you please measure the inside of the drive bays, because I'm wondering if a dual heater core will fit in there. Thanks.

Well, I can't do it at the moment......... but a dual heatercore CAN fit in there because that's what I did. I've got the 77 Bonneville core and it fits just fine.

Breathing internal. It's setup as an intake in the drive bays, with the fans mounted to the back of it, pulling the air through the rad.

Hey Scroat about how much room would there be in the top up there if I mounted a dual Heater Core with 4x120mm 38mm-thick fans, 2 on each side, and each side had a 1" shroud? Will it hang down too low to complicate anything?

How close would it be to the Power Supply? If my top 3-4 bays held something short in them such as fan controllers would there be any chance they'd be in the way? I'd like to keep the Heater Core as far from the PSU as possible... but not make it too cramped up against the drive bays.

Edit: Oh yeah also... where did you get the side cover with the window?

Neo_Cloud_99 said:
Hey Scroat about how much room would there be in the top up there if I mounted a dual Heater Core with 4x120mm 38mm-thick fans, 2 on each side, and each side had a 1" shroud? Will it hang down too low to complicate anything?

How close would it be to the Power Supply? If my top 3-4 bays held something short in them such as fan controllers would there be any chance they'd be in the way? I'd like to keep the Heater Core as far from the PSU as possible... but not make it too cramped up against the drive bays.

Edit: Oh yeah also... where did you get the side cover with the window?

Well,

You won't need two fans on either side. That's for sure. I'm only running two and I've got idle temps of 29c and load of 35C. I doubt you'd do much better from two more fans... maybe 1c or 2c.

You could fit the core up there with two fans, and you'd probably have to give up the first two bays.... You'd still have room between it and the PSU, but you need to realize that there is that rounded flange at the front top of the case. If you were going for a top mounting, I'd recommend mounting your PSU on the bottom of the case, leaving the entire top for the rad. By doing so, I don't think you'd lose any front bays, especially if the first two were the control panel and a fan controller.

You could also mount your rad on the bottom and make that vent hole bigger. I went for the front bay because I wanted cooler intake air to get it. Coming up with the unorthodoz hard drive cage mount was just an afterthought for me, but it worked out ok. It allowed me to have the pump higher, which cut down on overall tubing length.

Good luck!

Hey Scroat another quick question... you may have covered it in the worklog but I couldnt find it... how did you mount the HDD cage in the bottom, if at all ... and did you do anything to mount the pump on top of it? or is it just sitting on top?

I took a couple of those rails that come with the Stacker to mount 3 1/2 devices in the bay, and shoved them under the drive cage. Also, put some of that noise dampening stuff on the top of the drive cage. That, coupled with the non-skid already on the bottom of the pump, keeps it in place without any moving around. The weight of the cage with three hard drives in it pretty much keeps the cage in place.

Ok phew pretty soon I'll run out of questions with all this water cooling stuff , thanks for the replies :)

Just curious where did you get your case and the side window panel for it?

Oh... and just curious do you think having the cross flow thing would have any added benefit if using water cooling? Might help ambient temperatures some I'd think.

No need for the crossflow if you're watercooling, IMHO. Case temp is always nice and low, and the overall airflow through the case is excellent.

Got the case from Newegg and got the side panel from sidewinder computers.

Be sure to make a workog and post pics as you're building it too!!

Good Luck!

I might do that if I had a camera of some sort :(

Even then though I'm not usually very artistic with things like this... lol ... it doesnt have to look pretty as long as it works good :)

Back