Coolermaster Stacker 830

ToastMaster

Limp Gawd
While I must say I love the overall design of the case itself...

the design behind removing/emplacing the side panels is an absolutely horrid design scheme. Maybe it's just me, but I've had numerous problems simply getting the panels back on.

Other than that though, I thoroughly enjoy the case.

I think removing and replacing the side panels is pretty easy myself, although many out there have shared your sentiments.

I agree on the side panels. Seemed simple when I first looked at it, but one side is a PITA to put back on, and I can't tell why, maybe it's just smarter than I am. :D

I do love this case though. I filled it up with HD's and it's my Linux server. It has 7 120mm fans and it's still fairly quiet. Quieter in fact than my Lanboy with 2 120mm fans.

Ok, but I guess I'm just a pessimist though. I also have a hell of time getting cards to sit in my bottom slot, and the sides just don't sit right. To me, what would be the cadillac of cases has flaws, and for the price that's not alright. I'm thinking of trying to demand another tray.

texuspete00 said:
Ok, but I guess I'm just a pessimist though. I also have a hell of time getting cards to sit in my bottom slot, and the sides just don't sit right. To me, what would be the cadillac of cases has flaws, and for the price that's not alright. I'm thinking of trying to demand another tray.
There are more expensive cars out there than a cadillac. Maybe if you bought the ferarri of cases, I would be upset. :p

texuspete00 said:

I have the same problem with mine, for the second PCIe slot. Can't SLI my rig because of it. I had seen a thread about this in the CM forums on another case and they were offering RMA's on the mobo tray. Unfortunately, the forum has been down since I read that. I have a contact number for them I'm going to try to call today or tomorrow to see what they'll do. If they'll RMA it, I'll post the info here... ;)

texuspete00 said:

Well remember, a cadillac is still a GM car... :D

PLease get that number. i'm always getting had. :(

I say I wont take it anymore but places are sure good at putting you on the hold and the like. My time is money too. Just have to not get worked up about it, utilize speaker phone, just kind of do what Im doing.... maybe spam there ass until I get it. :) Make the time amusing and it will pay for itself.

ThirtySixBelow said:
There are more expensive cars out there than a cadillac. Maybe if you bought the ferarri of cases, I would be upset. :p
ASUS Vento? :p

Okay, I called the number I had and it was CM. I explained the problem to the guy and he told me to find my original invoice (receipt) showing I purchased it and either email or fax that to them, along with pics of the problem. I asked him to explain what kinda pics they were looking for and he said pics of the cards not full seating in the mobo tray. The email address was [email protected] and the fax number (if you need that instead) was 909-673-9882. If you wanna call and ask your own questions, then call 909-673-9880. Good luck. ;)

texuspete00 said:

When you say to fit in the slot, do you mean that you can see part of the connector for the card elevated above the PCI slot?

Because that's a problem I noticed - some of my PCI cards hit up against the thumbscrew panel for the cards, before the card is fully seated into the PCI slot. Thankfully I only have two cards in the case at the moment, and as far as I can recall, my graphics card wasn't affected by it. My Audigy 2 though wasn't recognized at first, and I had to lay the case down and see if I could get the Audigy 2 pushed in just a slight bit more. It cut up my hands a bit putting the pressure on the card, but upon the next boot-up, Windows detected it.

Yep, absolutely. Mount my X-Fi outside of the case into the tray so i can have a good look-seee, and even in my last build to this day, towards the ass end with the thumb screws, I can see the very tippitty top of my "gold fingers" on the sound card. The right side I can not. First time I used the thing I must have hooked it up 3 or 4 times, as either my network card or sound card wouldn't work in what was then the bottom 2 slots (CFX3200).

My x1900Xt and crossfire card seat ok as far as the slot, but I had to apply pressure towards the rear also, to get the screw down. Yep, I pushed like a mofo on my then 2 * $500 gpus to get them screwed down. The gold fingers fit in nicely up in the top slots, just won't screw it down as I'm a few mm from the screw down. I honestly think this has eventually kind of helped straighten it out. Nearly every slot has a bracket screwed in to it. i pushed on the bracket some, but also pushed the backside inward, until I could get the screws in. In fact, the first time I put my sound card in the bottom slot, I finally got it to work, as I was pushing from both ends, I still didnt have the screw hole completely sunk under the bracket, just like 3/4's of it was showing through. My lian li thumb screws have a thinner head, and it got in there and anchored it. Now it seems doable with my strength and the regular screw. I think tension held by said screws for awhile have got it in to a comfort zone. My last slot will continue to suck though. Lifting weights for the win. :rolleyes:

RMA the mobo tray like I'm going to do. I haven't had time to take pics of the problem, but I did finally find my invoice (I bought the case back in Feb. so it's taken time to find what I did with it). I'm going to fax the invoice and follow it up with an email asking if that's enough. I'll just say my digicam is broke and see if they'll RMA anyway. Kinda sucks to have to do this for a case this expensive, but if they make it right, I guess it's okay.

Thing is the profit margin seems big so it's BS. They should straight up send us another tray. It's kind of horseshit to have to send it back and be without a case. At least let you ship it back after the fact. Things should be made right because it takes time to put together this stuff. Especially when the sound card doesn't work first fire up and so on. I'd have pull out the wires from the back of the PC and throw it up on the table or bed so I can properly try and jimmy a card in, fuck with the goddamn door again. Probably ranting a lot but I will be able to copy paste this and edits to get a good letter and discussion of my problem.

BTW, I just faxed my invoice and emailed them that I'm hoping to not have to send pics. I explained the problem in as good a detail as possible and told them to contact me back about it.

When I spoke to the rep the other day on the phone, he did not mention me having to ship the old one to them first. My understanding is they'll send me a new mobo tray right away. I may have to send the old one back, but that wasn't mentioned. Yeah, it's totally a pain to have to replace everything onto the new tray, but if it fixes the issue I'll be happy. I want to finally be able to SLI my video card! ;)

Dan_D said:
I know Kyle likes his 830. I'm still debating the switch.

To me, the case is well worth the slight problem. Once I get the tray RMAd, I'll be happy. The only other issue I have is how the front door drags on the ground. Because of this, I've removed that door completely, so it's easier to access my optical drives. It's not as good looking that way, but much more convenient. The case cools beautifully though and it's huge and well constructed.

wtburnette said:
To me, the case is well worth the slight problem. Once I get the tray RMAd, I'll be happy. The only other issue I have is how the front door drags on the ground. Because of this, I've removed that door completely, so it's easier to access my optical drives. It's not as good looking that way, but much more convenient. The case cools beautifully though and it's huge and well constructed.

Agreed about the case itself. I think it's a very good case,and only the few issues we've all mentioned, are keeping it from being truly excellent in my book. I'm not regretting that I bought it.

As for the door, I had the same problem as you. I went to Home Depot, paid essentially $4 for a 1/2" board or so, and placed the board under the case. I arranged it in such a way that the board can't be seen, but now the case is elevated just enough to keep the door from dragging on the carpet.

ToastMaster said:
Agreed about the case itself. I think it's a very good case,and only the few issues we've all mentioned, are keeping it from being truly excellent in my book. I'm not regretting that I bought it.

As for the door, I had the same problem as you. I went to Home Depot, paid essentially $4 for a 1/2" board or so, and placed the board under the case. I arranged it in such a way that the board can't be seen, but now the case is elevated just enough to keep the door from dragging on the carpet.

I'll have to think about doing something like that... ;)

im originally a lian li guy .. had like 6 of their cases and loved them .. went to a stacker 810 and while it was a change and great for air cooling .. didnt really like it .. ended up selling it for a v1000b .. ended up being too cramped .. so i bought a black stacker 830 and absolutely love it .. didnt have the problems with the pci cards like i did with the 810 .. i guess i got lucky .. this case is geat .. really no problems .. side panels could be a bit easier to put on and take off but no biggie ..

cant run all 4 side fans with my scythe ninja .. but im gonna get the window and 2 fans mounted into the side from performance-pcs .. :D

wtburnette said:
I'll have to think about doing something like that... ;)

It's actually working out really well. I had originally bought two pieces, one for the front and one for the back, but the larger of the two proved to be long enough to have part of the front and the bottom both propped up. With the weight the case pushing the board into the carpet, it can't be seen, and the case front looks like it's simply sitting on carpet, but the door opens perfectly :)

ToastMaster said:
It's actually working out really well. I had originally bought two pieces, one for the front and one for the back, but the larger of the two proved to be long enough to have part of the front and the bottom both propped up. With the weight the case pushing the board into the carpet, it can't be seen, and the case front looks like it's simply sitting on carpet, but the door opens perfectly :)

What was the size of the boards you used? I might have to head to home depot this weekend... :p

Just case I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, the Sycthe Infinity will hit the fan bracket on the side of this case when the motherboard is in a standard ATX configuration. You could cut away some of the plastic on the fan bracket to make it fit but you would lose the ability to mount 1 of the 4 fans. I will post update later (when new motherboard arrives) whether or not it will fit just right (i.e. in one of the fan slots) when mounted in reverse ATX.

wtburnette said:
What was the size of the boards you used? I might have to head to home depot this weekend... :p

The size I have is a little bit larger than this, but the dimensions I'd say would be good are 18"-20" long, and roughly 10"-11" wide. Position the board roughly int the middle of the case, and the case will nicely sit on top while the weight of the case pushes the board into the carpet and thus makes the case look roughly on the ground. :)

the board itself is 1/2" thick I believe, but I'd say I have medium-to-long carpet, so that helps too.

I might try that this weekend. Dunno, I'm a lazy bum most weekends and this one may be the same... :p

Also, I still haven't heard anything from CM, so I just sent them another email. Hopefully I'll find out I have a new mobo tray coming soon.

Well, I've sent another email to Coolermaster and haven't had a response... :rolleyes: When I called and the guy was so quick to tell me they'd send an RMA, I was thinking very nice thoughts about CM, but I'm not so thrilled with them now. I spent a ton of money on this case and to have any problems at all getting an RMA for something they screwed up is really annoying. As much as I love the case, it'll probably be my only CM case.

BTW, was able to take care of this without an RMA. Which is good cause CM wasn't going to give me an RMA without pics and I was having issues with my digital camera. In any event, I was surfing their support forums (finally back up) and came across this post:

http://www.coolermaster.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4343

There are (bad) pics of the end of a card not being straight. Looked at my cards and sure enough, mine was slightly bent. I bent it straight and it still didn't quite fit in the second PCIe slot. Towards the end of the thread, there's a pic of a guy using a screwdriver to push in the back of the card while installing the card. I used my finger instead of a screwdriver, but was able to finally get the card installed into that slot. I now have SLI up and running on my rig (finally). I suggest anyone else having issues to try the same. If it doesn't work, you can still hit their site, fill out an RMA and go from there... ;)

Back