• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

coolermaster seidon 120xl

catalzzy

Weaksauce
Joined
May 13, 2006
Messages
99
Hello

I have installed coolermaster 120XL. I have sorted out the stand off screws as recently it was giving me headache of no boot. So far the idle temp on my i7 4770k is around 35-40c and when using intel burn test. The max it can reach is up to 90c. When i use prime 95 and the max was 95c.

The pump is connected to the cpu header and i have switched off the pwm mode. It now run full speed as it was supposed to be. The two fans are automatically controlled.

The i7 is not overclocked. The voltage i have set is at 1.210. EIST is switched off, HT is on and Turbo is on. The rams are mixed. 2x4GB at 1600 and 2x2 at 1333. Though i have made them both run at 1600 and i cant change the timing otherwise it wont boot.

Have i done anything wrong? I tried to reseat the cpu many times and reapplied thermal paste as a pea size.

Thank you
 
Guys, please help. i think there might be something wrong with my cpu or the cooler.

thanks,...
 
lower that voltage thats the problem.. at stock speed the voltage in a 4770k its like 1.05v.. also you may have a chip with crappy TIM between the CPU heatsink and the internal core die. so first of all down that voltage to 1.05 and try again... if problem persist, well.. just delid it..
 
if you want to fry your chip then yes.. 1.53 should be ok, OK NOPE.. thats extremely high.. never go above 1.4v.. where are you seeing that reading? under what kind of load?
 
Hello,

I have tried to reseat the cpu and the block. I tried to make it snug. The thermal paste is of a pea size.

I have manually set the speed running at 4000mhz at 1.150volts. The c state is enabled and EIST is off.

The idle temp is kind of okayish. and the load is crazy! On IBT max temp was near 90c and the prime 95 is insanely hot at 98c.

Something is wrong. I have checked and checked over again and again. Other i7 4770k with the same cooler normally maxed out at 70c's. Why is it mine different?!

The pump is at 100% speed and the fans are pwm regulated.

Here is the pic of it.



Thanks...
 
just probably you have a bad chip with uber crappy TIM between the CPU heatsink and the core die.. delid it thats the best advice..
 
Hello

I just went crazy today as i am pissed off with the idle and load temp cause i have enough of reseating and changing the block. I replaced the cooler with the new same one. The problem still exists.

It forced me to delid the cpu as i felt it is a bad chip. I deliedded it sucessfully and i made 4 mistakes. One is i have barely removed the pcb layer on the top left corner a little bit south. And the bottom one is i have removed two pcb layer by tiny amount and i can see the gold thing there. It is on the triangle thing on bottom right. The reference is the picture with the pink tissue.

The temp is a great improvement though the bios detected it as new cpu installed. Computer booted fine and i redo my settings.

First setting was at 4000 ghz at 1.050volts and it bsod after IBT 1 tries.

Second Setting was at 4000ghz at 1.153volts and it bsod after IBT 3 tries.

Third setting was at 4000ghz at 1.170 volts and it froze after IBT 5 tries.

I have obviously voided the warrantly and i did alot of research on delidding though the vice and hammer is the best method but i dont have those right now as i am staying at uni campus. Instead i used a razor and carefully did things though i did not realize that i have destroyed the pcb layer by a teeny tiny hole. I guess i have to wait for broadwell cpu replacement in the coming future.

I needed this computer mainly for architecture and rendering work with vray.

Did i in fact got a bad chip or a bad cooler?



Thanks.. and apologies for my stupidy and throwing out the warranty in the bin as i have used this chip for at least one year.
 
oh man thats sad so sad, thats why we have to be extremely careful to choose the correct tools to delid a chip... at least the CPU its the CPU working at stock?.
 
I was careful and i did not see the razer cutting the pcb as i was focusing on the edge of the heatspreader.

It works at stock.. I suspect its the tim which is deepcool Z5 which i use on the die and the heatspreader. I am now testing it at 4ghz at 1.150v using IBT at maximum settings while the cache ratio is set to auto. If i change the cache manually then who knows it will crash or freeze. I dont even have any idea what voltage should i set for the cache ratio. Though while using IBT, the speed went almost 4.2ghz cause the bus speed changed it self to 104mhz???? Now the max temp is at 90c. Both same for IBT and Prime95.

I even tried to go at 1.25 at 4.3ghz and temp soared to 100c+ and throttle then froze.

Something is wrong with my chip!!!!! I think i received.. a bad batch
 
what kind of method did you used to apply the TIM..?? if you do not apply correctly the tim between the core die and the heatsink you will not enjoy fully decrease in temps... also its important to know what the room temp are? how its configured your case and airflow?. also when you are overclocking haswell try to keep the cache ratio lower than CPU multiplier for at least 3 points.. im Auto should work good too until high overclock where it can show some instability, so if you want 4.2ghz leave the cache at 39-38 and so on..
 
On the die, i use a thin line across and the heat spreader is a small pea dot. Room temp is at 32 cause i live in tropical country.

What would be the voltage for the cache though. right now i cant tell cause i cannot find any voltage saying about it except the vcore.

so is my i7 good or broken?
 
Right,

I have run an couple of tests based on different software. Prime and IBT reports high temp constantly on 90c.

Aida64 maxxed out at 75-77c and IXT maxed out the same as aida64.

Here are screenshots of what i get so far with the delidded bit damaged cpu.. though i think it must be wrong with the TIM or myself.









Thanks........
 
Back
Top