Coolermaster Elite 330: Problem with USB bezel

StarsFan4Life

Limp Gawd
I have a problem I can't seem to figure out. I have built three machines, all using the Coolermaster Elite 330 found here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...119115&cm_re=elite_330-_-11-119-115-_-Product

Now, each machine has completely different parts, but all use Gigabyte motherboards (all different models, but all made within the last year to 18 months). Now, I'm no rocket scientist, but I am no idiot either. The case comes with a front bezel for both 2 USB connections and a headphone/microphone jack.

Now, here is the problem. With the machines completely built (no problems at all) and running Windows 7 Ultimate, we have a problem with the front USB connections on each of the cases. While powered up, if I plug ANYTHING usb into the fron USB connections, the power cuts off (like a short) and actually on one machine ended up shorting out the motherboard and Gigabyte was nice enough to replace it.

I contacted Coolemaster about the issue and they said they had never heard about it with this case, but they are sending replacement bezels for each case. The problem is, its basically the same bezel as before.

Now, of course, I did plug the front bezel usb connections into the correct usb connection on the motherboard (pins match up and everything)...and like I said, each motherboard is a different model, but they are all Gigabyte. The PSU's are the same in two of them (Antec Earthwatts 650wt) and the other is a generic PSU for my home server.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hard to tell from teh newegg photos, but are the USB connectors the standard connector block type or the PITA separate pin connectors, if they are the latter, then I would say you have wired them incorrectly or Coolermaster labeled them incorrectly (which is rare these days), the less likely issue would be a bad ground design in the cases, but I highly doubt that three cases are suffering the same grounding issues (Coolermaster would have spotted that problem before main production started).

Well, after months of dealing with this and unplugging the front USB bezel from the laptop, I thought I would give a new case a try. I got an Antec Three Hundred (which I think is a much better case).

I hooked all the equipment back up the same way I had it and turned the computer on. I booted into Windows 7, tried plugging in a USB flash drive....and the machine shut off. I knew that SOMETHING else was causing this short.

I remembered back on something I added new when I did the original build; a Sony 5.1 receiver and Infinity P362 speakers (4ft 3way tower speakers that freakin rock). This shouldn't have been a problem, other than the way I hooked the PC to the receiver. I used the following cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-THXIMINI8-Certified-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B00006YZ3Y

It's a 3.5mm to RCA cable. I went from the green out on the motherboard to the red/white RCA plugs on the back of the receiver (I used the "DVD" one).

Once I unplugged this, ALL IS FREAKING FINE!

Now, the motherboard I have has an optical out which I think I will utilize using a ToSlink cable to connect the PC to the receiver, instead of the 3.5mm to RCA cable. Will using a ToSlink cable still cause the same shorting problem I currently have?

My setup:

* Antec Three Hundred Case
* Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P motherboard
* AMD Phenom II Quad 940 Black Editon - Stock cooling
* 8GB G-Skill PC2-6400
* XFX Radeon 4870 1GB
* Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA II
* Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATAII
* Onboard LAN/HD Audio
* Logitech DiNovo Keyboard
* Logitech MX 518
* 2 X Yate Loon 120mm silent case fans
* 2 X Dell" S2309 W @ 1900 x 1080

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If I remember correctly, the pinout of the USB header on the Elite 330 and Elite 340 are incorrect according to how they need to be on the mobo. You might want to double check each individual wire is going where it should.

This is NO LONGER a USB issue. Did you not read this post?

Well, after months of dealing with this and unplugging the front USB bezel from the laptop, I thought I would give a new case a try. I got an Antec Three Hundred (which I think is a much better case).

I hooked all the equipment back up the same way I had it and turned the computer on. I booted into Windows 7, tried plugging in a USB flash drive....and the machine shut off. I knew that SOMETHING else was causing this short.

I remembered back on something I added new when I did the original build; a Sony 5.1 receiver and Infinity P362 speakers (4ft 3way tower speakers that freakin rock). This shouldn't have been a problem, other than the way I hooked the PC to the receiver. I used the following cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-THXIMI.../dp/B00006YZ3Y

It's a 3.5mm to RCA cable. I went from the green out on the motherboard to the red/white RCA plugs on the back of the receiver (I used the "DVD" one).

Once I unplugged this, ALL IS FREAKING FINE!

Now, the motherboard I have has an optical out which I think I will utilize using a ToSlink cable to connect the PC to the receiver, instead of the 3.5mm to RCA cable. Will using a ToSlink cable still cause the same shorting problem I currently have?

My setup:

* Antec Three Hundred Case
* Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P motherboard
* AMD Phenom II Quad 940 Black Editon - Stock cooling
* 8GB G-Skill PC2-6400
* XFX Radeon 4870 1GB
* Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA II
* Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATAII
* Onboard LAN/HD Audio
* Logitech DiNovo Keyboard
* Logitech MX 518
* 2 X Yate Loon 120mm silent case fans
* 2 X Dell" S2309 W @ 1900 x 1080

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
don't be a fuckin asshole, I was simply trying to offer any input to help... but based on your response I hope your PC blows up...

jerk

Back