Coolermaster Cosmos or Silverstone TJ09, though decision!

Shark00n

n00b
Hey guys!

I'm building a PC and the TJ09 seamed like the case to go with. At this point I have all the components chosen, watercooling, fans, etc. All the system is planned and the case was studied to see how to hide the wires, pass the tubes, perfect the airflow, etc...

But now I'm kind of reticent on pushing the button and making the buy, and the reason why is a nice "little" case called Cosmos.

It's cheaper and doesn't require any major adicional planning because of it's layout. The wires are pretty easy to hide, and the WC sub-system almost does not need any changes! The airflow seems a lot better, which was my main concern with the TJ09, How would I cool the VRAM and the mosfets right? Well with the Cosmos I pretty much have the VGA covered and the mosfets won't have any issue too.

So, before I go with the buy, wich case should I stick with? The highly-acclaimed, very beautiful, high-quality and expensive TJ09. Or the "new-guy", the case that's scoring a lot of perfect 10's on review sites and slighty cheaper CM Cosmos??

Thanks!

I haven't used either, but after looking at the Cosmos, that is a very cool case. I think I would go with that one.

I think the TJ09 would need a bit of modding for watercooling.

No, I managed to put 3 120mm Radiators without changing a thing in the case. I'd never let a Dremel near that pretty little thin anyway :D

And the same WC system also fits the Cosmos perfectly, so the question is still standing... Cosmos or TJ09?

Another vote for the TJ09. God I love this case so much :D Definitely one of the best/easiest cases I have worked in. Great temps too.

Thanks guys! Just ordered a brand new Black Windowed Silverstone TJ09 :D

Grats! I have the same one too. Definitely gonna blow your mind at the sheer size of it when you take it out, and the room that you get to work in too :)

Grats! I have the same one too. Definitely gonna blow your mind at the sheer size of it when you take it out, and the room that you get to work in too :)

Cool! I'm praying my ass off so a 120mm Black Ice GT Stealth (Which is 133mm wide) fits on the top-rear fan for my Watercooling system. Otherwise I'll have to put a hold on my system and order a new radiator.... :(

Congrats on the new case. I am a big fan of SilverStone cases, they are so sleek and stylish.

Cool! I'm praying my ass off so a 120mm Black Ice GT Stealth (Which is 133mm wide) fits on the top-rear fan for my Watercooling system. Otherwise I'll have to put a hold on my system and order a new radiator.... :(

I don't think it'll fit. There is almost no room between the rear fan and the case frame. I'd suggest that you start looking for another radiator. :(

I don't think it'll fit. There is almost no room between the rear fan and the case frame. I'd suggest that you start looking for another radiator. :(

Yeah :(
I asked the guys @ the online store where I bought my PC to try one on and it doesn't fit.
I just ordered a Black Ice GTS Lite which is exactly 120mm wide, so it won't have any trouble fitting there. :p

The TJ09 is really nice, I love mine. There are some minor things I wished were changed but nothing too big.

Every case has its drawbacks, but I just assembled the Cosmos case and it was a breeze. The case is huge so everything fits nice and easy. I have read complaints about wire management, but I had no problem at all. The case is extremely quiet and that's even with the 5- 120mm fans screaming. I can hear the vid card fan sometimes but that is it. So far nothing has even attempted to overheat and that is after hours of gaming. S far I am a big fan of the Cosmos.
I'll keep you all posted...

Just checking in.

I did buy the TJ09, and manage to fit a Black Ice Radiator on the back, want to see?

dsc00832fj1.jpg

dsc00852qy7.jpg

dsc00868dl6.jpg

dsc00906gq1.jpg

dsc00908pj6.jpg

dsc00909ga4.jpg

dsc00911jm0.jpg

dsc00912zr5.jpg

....Yeah... I'm showin' off :p

What do you guys think? right choice?:D

Sweet... I love it.

So it's a Black Ice GTS Lite (120mm wide) for the back radiator, what exact model is the radiator you using on top? :)

So not much moding to get both radiators installed in the TJ09?

How many watts is your PSU?

Sweet... I love it.

So it's a Black Ice GTS Lite (120mm wide) for the back radiator, what exact model is the radiator you using on top? :)

So not much moding to get both radiators installed in the TJ09?

How many watts is your PSU?

Yeah, its a Black Ice GTS Lite 120 on the back, and two Black Ice GT Stealth 120 (133mm wide) on top.

For the top radiators it required very little modding, you have to take the two top mounts and break a little bit of plastic there, where a 35mm screw will eventually pass through.
semttuloek2.jpg

Then you assemble the fan, and you pass the 4 35mm screws through a large O-Ring, the mount, the fan, and finnaly screw it on the Radiator. It looks like this when done:
dsc00809mg8.jpg

And my PSU is an Enermax Galaxy 850W DXX.

Sweet setup OP. I just moved my components into their new home last night which is a Cooler Master Cosmos. I'm in love with that case, it's so freaking quiet compared to my old WaveMaster. No harddrive whine, the seeks from my 74gb raptors are now muffled and not that noticable anymore. I like the fact that they took cable routing into consideration but they could have done more. Basically you can't go too crazy with the cabling behind the motherboard or else the side panel won't close properly. Thick power cords caused a problem but those were easy to tie down on the inside of the case to keep a clean interior. Now all I need to do is get a monster cooler for the CPU now that I have all of this room to work with.

I looked at the TJ09 but for me I liked the CM approach in regards to noise suppression and I also was drawn to it because of it's appearance (gotta love the handles). The handles are really useful when I have to move that beast.

A year ago I would have jumped on the TJ09 since it has windows and is really spacious but these days I just want it cool and quiet. Now I don't have to turn up the sound as much! :)

Enjoy man!

Thanks for the info. I will be using a TJ09 case and cant make up my mind if I want to do it like you did, or go with an external cooling unit from this dude:

http://www.externalpccooling.net/default.htm (WaterKegIII)

I am worried the rad might cutt down the air flow from each fan I install one in front of, inside the case...

hey guys

I am about to buy the TJ09 ... can you tell me how loud is it with all the fans on lets say 7V ?

I was thinking about the Cosmos but the lack of HDD cooling, no cable routing behind mobo wall and inability to install a fan controller as the knobs will stop the front door from closing (what did they think of when they were creating this ??) sort of puts me off ...

Mine inst that loud even with the fans cranked, but then again how loud a case is doesn't bother me. Put one vote up for me for teh Tj09 :D

looks awesome man .... thanks for the pics ...

what is that liquid cooler ?

@ lillimon- Ty. They were made by Zittware, hes a member here and at a few other forums, they are made out of black acrylic, and they are mounted above the cards they are not heatsinks, just covers.

@Omarko- Ty. I think you mean the set up top, Which is this http://www.xoxide.com/koolance-inx-720blk.html The water block is from Danger Den.

awesome

thanks for that link ... I like the Koolance kit ...

this is my current set up LINK

I don't have the GTX and the loop anymore as I went with 2x8800GT SLI but I want to keep liquid cooling the CPU.

can you post more pics by any chance ? especially with the side off and from bottom to see how much space did that kit take ....

did you have to cut the case much ? was it difficult ?

Not really, They supply you with a printable schematic of what you have to cut, and the majority of that is already cut out for the 2 120mm fans on the top, just some careful measuring has to be done and masking tape where you have to cut. The hole you have to cut is smaller than the actual unit, so it doesn't have to be dead accurate you have some le-way. Also with the tj09 you can unbolt the top which is a big help cutting. There is a ton of room on the inside, and you can still use the top ports and 5.25 bay. On the back, there is still 3/4 of an inch left above the motherboard tray.Ill try to snap some more pictures for you tonight. Before I cut I called Silverstone and they said they had replacement tops for $30 (at least for me).

put a vote on the TJ09 for me.
i just think the cosmos looks to bland compared to the TJ09 and the build quality of silverstone cases is second to none.

Back